Early Stage Researcher12.11.2021
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for an Early Stage Researcher position in Kuopio. The position will be filled for a fixed term of three years starting in January 2022, or as agreed. Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 15.11.2021.
Role and salary
As our new Early Stage Researcher, you will be working in the School of Pharmacy, at the Faculty of Health Sciences. The position is mainly located in Kuopio, Finland. The position includes a research visit abroad.
We are applying for a highly motivated professional to work in the Leinonen Retina Laboratory. The applicant will be working in a project that aims to solve basic mechanisms of homeostatic plasticity in the nervous system. The applicant will evaluate homeostatic plasticity and functional adaptation of the retina in response to damage to the sensory photoreceptors and subsequently the cellular mechanisms explaining the phenomenon. The research tasks include eye imaging and measurement of visual function in animal models, electrophysiological techniques, basic molecular biology assays as well as state-of-the-art bioinformatics methods such as single-cell RNA-sequencing. The project will be performed in close collaboration with the University of Utah (UofU, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) and part of the data collection will be conducted during a research visit to UofU.
The research tasks will include:
- Bioinformatics from proteomics and single-cell RNA-sequencing data
- Basic molecular biology methods such as immunohistochemistry, western blotting, quantitative RT-PCR, RNA-sequencing
- Vision assessment in laboratory animals: electroretinography, cortical visual evoked potentials, behavioural vision tests
- Electrophysiology in isolated retinas
- Drug trials in animal models
More information about the principal investigator: https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/person/henri.leinonen/
The position is initially filled for a fixed term of three years starting in January 2022, or as agreed. The position is full-time, enabling full-time work on the doctoral dissertation. Early Stage Researcher positions are always filled for a fixed term. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. The Early Stage Researcher position is based on level 2 – 4 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research staff (2,078.27 – 2,591.28 €/month). The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6 % and a maximum of 50 % of the above-mentioned sum. The estimated salary in the beginning of the employment will be 2,300 – 2,800 €/month. The salary of the Early Stage Researcher depends on the phase of the doctoral dissertation and postgraduate studies as well as personal performance.
Requirements and expectations
- relevant Master’s degree with a firm training in neuroscience, pharmacology, molecular biology, biomedicine or equivalent field. Experience in in vivo work will be the greatest advantage for the position.
- fluent English language skills
- adaptability to work both independently and as a team member
- preparedness for an international research exchange (to USA)
Additional strengths (non-mandatory) of the applicant include knowledge of statistical methods and software and project management skills.
What we can offer you
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community. In addition, you will have access to the University’s staff benefits, including:
- extensive occupational health care
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services
- affordable sports services
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
How to apply
The application needs to be submitted no later than 15.11.2021 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time) by using the electronic application form.
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- a résume or CV (Template for researcher’s curriculum vitae | Finnish National Board on Research Integrity TENK)
- a list of publication (List of publications – Academy of Finland (aka.fi)
- copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates/ diplomas
- motivation letter
- copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
In addition, attaching at least two reference letters is highly encouraged.
For further information on the position, please contact Academy Research Fellow Henri Leinonen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 29 445 4218
For further information on the application procedure, please contact HR Secretary, Sari Palviainen, email@example.com, +358 29 445 4324