Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher / Early Stage Researcher (Biomedical Informatics)14.12.2021
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher / Early Stage Researcher (Biomedical Informatics) position in Kuopio. The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 January 2021 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 28 December 2021. (Extended application period)
Role and salary
As our new Postdoctoral, Project or Early Stage Researcher in Biomedical Informatics, you will be working in the research group led by Associate Professor and Academy Research Fellow Vittorio Fortino in the Institute of Biomedicine, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Kuopio Campus.
Our group studies and implements data mining algorithms (including machine learning algorithms) to tackle biomedical questions, such as biomarker and drug discovery. Applicants with profound knowledge of (1) bioinformatics tools to analyse genomics and transcriptomics data; and (2) machine learning algorithms are encouraged to apply.
More details on the research group and research interests can be found at
The successful candidate will work on a project funded by Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation.
The position is part of a project aiming to develop machine learning approaches
1) to identify clinically relevant cancer subtypes from multi-omics datasets (TCGA);
2) to learn how to match cancer cell lines with cancer subtypes via omics data (TCGA, CCLE, GDSC, and GTEx); and
3) to discover synergistic (and safer) drug combinations from available pharmacogenomics data (e.g. LINCS 1000).
The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 January 2021 (or as agreed) due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. For a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher, the job requirement component is 3,000.49 €/month, based on level 5 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. For an Early-stage Researcher, the job requirement component is 2,078.27 – 2,591.28 €/month, based on levels 2-4 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be between 6-50 % of the above-mentioned sums.
At the beginning, the salary will be 3,180.52 – 3,660.60 € /month, as Postdoctoral / Project Researcher or 2,202.97-2,746.76 € /month as Early-Stage Researcher.
Our requirements and expectations
The appointed researcher will have a central role in implementing and applying machine learning methods for the analysis of large-scale omics data. They will have an inquisitive mindset, a proactive attitude, and the desire to further develop their skills for data science and machine learning.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Science or a related discipline for the Postdoctoral/Project Researcher position. If the doctoral degree has been awarded less than five years ago, the post will be one of a Postdoctoral Researcher. If the doctoral degree has been awarded more than five years ago, the post will be one of a Project Researcher. In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period time, which does not include parental leaves, or military service.
- Have an MSc in Bioinformatics, Biosciences or a related discipline for the Early Stage Researcher position; have completed a suitable higher university degree or an equivalent education abroad which in the country in question would qualify the person for similar academic studies. The candidate shall also be qualified to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Eastern Finland by enrolling in one of the doctoral programmes of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities that are essential for this position:
- A solid computational (informatics/computer science/coding) background is required..
- Solid knowledge of, and practical experience in, bioinformatics is required.
- Experience of analysis of at least two different types of omics data (e.g. gene expression data, genomic data – GWAS, DNA methylation data, etc.) is required.
- Programming experience in a relevant programming language (e.g., R and Python) is required.
- Practical experience of working with machine learning methods is required.
- Practical experience of working with network analysis is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a team.
- Applicants must have good skills in oral and written English.
- Previous research experience and ambitions will also count during the evaluation process.
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
- extensive occupational health care
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website. https://www.uef.fi/en/university#paragraph-4467
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 28.12.2021 (by24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- list of publications (List of publications – Academy of Finland (aka.fi)
- motivation letter
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- recommendation letter(s) (if available)
For further information on the position, please contact: Associate Professor Vittorio Fortino, +358 29 445 4197, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact Saima-asiatTT@uef.fi