The Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM) is an international research institute focusing on human genomics and personalised medicine at the Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE) of the University of Helsinki. FIMM integrates molecular medicine research, technology centre and biobanking infrastructures under one roof, promoting translational research in grand challenge projects, specifically, the impact of genome information from the Finnish population in personalised health and medicine, individualised cancer medicine, and digital molecular medicine. FIMM is part of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine, composed of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the centres for molecular medicine in Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and the EU-LIFE Community.
FIMM-HiLIFE & iCAN Flagship at the University of Helsinki is currently seeking a
to join the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland – FIMM, the leading precision cancer medicine research unit in Finland, and two iCAN Digital Precision Cancer Medicine projects.
FIMM is a translational institute with a driving mission to perform innovative research on patients and populations – utilizing molecular, genomic and health data – targeted towards understanding drivers of health and disease and delivering improvements to the safety, efficacy and efficiency of healthcare in Finland and beyond.
iCAN is part of the Academy of Finland Flagship Programme and hosted by the University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital. iCAN is an innovative multidisciplinary initiative that brings together some of the world’s leading actors in cancer genomics, translational and clinical cancer research, digital health, information technology, machine learning, patients and business to solve one of the most pressing challenges in healthcare – cancer.
The bioinformatician will be working in two closely related subprojects of iCAN Flagship project in cancer precision medicine of solid tumors, COMPORG (immuno-organoids & urological cancers) and iCAN-PEDI (functional precision medicine of pediatric solid cancers), advancing personalized cancer diagnostics and treatment. Our multidisciplinary teams work closely together with clinicians at the hospitals, and our aim is to integrate the clinical and omics data into an analysis platform to enable the cutting-edge cancer research and robust translation back to the clinics for the patient’s benefit.
We are looking for a bioinformatician with experience in omics data analysis and especially integration with other data, such as clinical data. Our omics data comes from, for example, high throughput drug testing, DNA/RNA sequencing, microscopic imaging, ligandome analysis and other approaches (e.g. single cell sequencing, metabolomics, pharmacogenomics). The candidate will also have to be able to build up a database for the ligandome data.
As a Bioinformatician, depending on your profile and experience, you will have the opportunity to
– Together with the iCAN data team, build the iCAN data analysis platform to enable integration of clinical and research data
– Manage our omics data and to develop computational pipelines to further integrate and analyze molecular profiling and imaging data for digital precision cancer medicine
– Work with large datasets in cloud environment
– Create software tools for clinical translation with the potential of revolutionizing treatment of cancer
– Master’s degree (and/or PhD) in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, or equivalent
– Previous experience with omics data, data science or distributed computing environments is appreciated but not required – yet ability to quickly learn new things is essential
– Programming skills, especially in R and/or Python
– Understanding of database fundamentals
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Finnish skills are not required
– Solution-seeking, proactive and respons
Salary and contract:
We will offer a competitive salary that will be based on previous qualifications, experience and performance in the position as based on the Finnish university salary (YPJ) system. The contract will start immediately and will be offered initially until the end of 2022. It may be extended thereafter. A six-month trial period will be applied.
To apply, please submit the application, together with your CV and salary request, through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system by clicking on Apply for job. Internal applicants (i.e., current employees of the University of Helsinki) please submit your applications by logging in to the SAP system: https://msap.helsinki.fi. Please apply no later than 31.1.2022.