The University of Oulu is one of the largest universities in Finland, with approximately 15 000 students and 3 000 employees. We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
We are now looking for a full-time
to join a research project headed by Professor Peppi Karppinen in the ECM & Hypoxia Research Unit, in Biocenter Oulu and Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. The position is fixed time for period of 01.01.2023-31.12.2023.
Our research focuses on the enzyme family of 2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenases (2OGDDs) and their potential as therapeutic targets. Our main interests are in the hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl 4-hydroxylases, P4H-TM, histone lysine demethylases (KDMs) and some understudied 2OGDDs with disease connections. We use biochemical, enzymological, cell biological and genetic mouse models to understand how these enzymes regulate normal physiological and developmental processes. In addition, we study their inhibition as a potential therapeutic option in selected pathological conditions, with main focus currently on obesity, metabolic dysfunction, aging and cancer.
More information can be found on our web page: https://www.oulu.fi/en/research-groups/prof-peppi-karppinen-nee-koivunen.
To successfully occupy the position, you must possess a PhD degree preferably in the field of biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, medical science or related fields. Degree must have been completed before starting the position. Prior experience from recombinant protein production in different host systems, protein purification, enzyme kinetic analyses, biophysical analyses and structural biology (crystallization, cryoEM) are required. Prior knowledge of the research field is considered an advantage. Ability to pursue independent research, high motivation, good teamwork skills and excellent writing and fluency in English is expected. Good scientific presentation skills are required and teaching experience is considered an advantage.
What we offer
- A research environment with excellent technological facilities and a motivating and supporting community.
- University´s wide variety of support services, allowing you to focus on your research.
- Modern research facilities and personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, support for sport services and various opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer.
- Insurance provided by the university.
- In addition, the Finnish government provides benefits to residents and their families, for example possibility to the national healthcare system and high-quality affordable childcare and school services.
The salary will be on level 5 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a supplementary remuneration is given for personal achievement and performance (max. 50 %). In practice, the salary is roughly 3720 € per month (before taxes), depending on the appointee’s qualifications and prior experience.
The position is filled for a period of 01.01.2023-31.12.2023. A six-month trial period is applied in the position.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by December 19, 2022, (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1. Complete CV containing contact information of at least two referees (Max. size limit of the attachment: 5 Mbytes)
2. Motivation letter (maximum 1 page) describing prior knowledge and research interests and career plans (1-2 pages; max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes).
3. Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish. (Max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes)
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
Prof. Peppi Karppinen, e-mail: peppi.karppinen (at) oulu.fi