The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for an Early Stage Researcher in Molecular Biology – position in Joensuu campus. The position will be filled for a period of four year starting from September 1, 2021. Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 3 August 2021.
Role and salary
The research project, funded by the Academy of Finland, aims to understand the processing of stalled mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) replication forks, their relation to mtDNA integrity and cellular signalling responses. The PhD student will investigate the role of two proteins in the cleavage of stalled mitochondrial replication forks, the fate of broken mtDNA in cells and the signalling pathways that react to mtDNA damage or interact with extramitochondrial mtDNA.
Positions of Early Stage Researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term (UEF University Regulations, Section 31). The position will be filled for a period of four year starting from September 1, 2021. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is based on the salary system for the teaching and research staff at universities. The salary consists of the job-related salary element and the personal performance salary element. For this position, the job requirement level used to determine the job-related salary element is 2–4, and the personal performance salary element is 6–50% of the job-related salary element. The estimated monthly salary in the beginning of the employment will be 2,288.17- 3,163.95 €/per month. The salary of an early stage researcher depends on the phase of the doctoral dissertation and postgraduate studies as well as personal performance.
As Early Stage researcher your main responsibilities will include:
- Manipulation of enzymes involved in mtDNA maintenance using siRNA knockdown, CRISPR/Cas9-knockout and induced overexpression in cultured cells
- Analysis of mtDNA replication intermediates and stalled replication forks using agarose electrophoresis and transmission electron microscopy
- Investigation of the signalling pathways affected by mtDNA damage or mtDNA escape from mitochondria by Western blots, inhibitors and knockdown of key components
- Research visits to collaboration laboratories
- Presenting of research results in international conferences and publishing results
- Writing of a Ph.D. thesis
Our requirements and expectations
A person to be appointed as an Early Stage Researcher shall be qualified to pursue postgraduate studies, i.e. he or she is required to have completed a suitable higher university degree or an equivalent education abroad, which in the country in question would qualify the person for similar academic studies. A master’s degree or equivalent in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry or a related field is required for the position. Persons graduating in the near future are also encouraged to apply. However, they are expected to hold a relevant M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) by the starting date of the Early Stage Researcher position.
Potential candidate should have good command of the English language. We expect the student to have good prior knowledge of molecular biology methods and cell culture. Previous experience with mitochondria or mitochondrial DNA metabolism is a plus.
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
- extensive occupational health care
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 3 August 2021 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- CV (max 2 pages http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae including possible publications)
- a motivational letter and the contact details for one or two references
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
For further information on the position, please contact Senior Researcher Jaakko Pohjoismäki, Ph.D., tel. +358 29 445 3052, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact Executive Assistant Satu Turunen, tel. +358 29 445 3031, email@example.com (on vacation July 3- July 30).