A three-year Postdoctoral Researcher position in Population Genomics is available in the Ant Genomics and Immunity group (https://lumiviljakainen.wordpress.com/).
In this project, funded by the Academy of Finland, we will study genetic underpinnings of convergent evolution of multi-queen colonies (polygyny) in ants. We will investigate genomic architecture and selection across the genomes of monogynous and polygynous ant species using whole-genome sequencing. In addition, immune gene evolution will be studied in these ant societies to decipher whether polygynous lineages have followed similar evolutionary trajectories after convergent evolution.
- the main duties of the successful candidate are bioinformatics and population genomic analysis of whole-genome sequence data of several ant species and dissemination of research findings
- other tasks include supervision of Ph.D. and M.Sc. students
- Ph.D. in biology, obtained less than 10 years ago
- Experience in population genetics, high-throughput sequence data and bioinformatics
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, and supervise graduate and undergraduate students
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
What we offer
- We offer you a place in an ambitious research group with excellent international collaborators
- University´s wide variety of support services are at your disposal, allowing you to focus on your research
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer
- The successful candidate will also receive benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality, affordable childcare services.
A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3500€ per month. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 30th of June 2021. The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in this position. Also, information on personal research interests, experience and career plan may be provided here
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages)
3) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland: https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/
4) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
5) Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
The position is for 3 years starting in September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of 6 months is applied in the position.
Please contact Dr. Lumi Viljakainen (email@example.com) with any questions.