About the job
Research Scientist, Research and Development
Are you interested in producing new sustainable food ingredients with one of Europe’s hottest start-up companies? Would you like do impactful work to produce animal free egg white proteins with cutting edge technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Onego Bio might be just the place for you.
Onego Bio Ltd is a Finnish biotechnology company developing animal-free products such as egg white proteins. The company, founded in 2022, is a VTT spin-off that salutes the remarkable work done by VTT Biotechnology to create next level cell agriculture products and applications. Onego Bio has raised 10 million Euros in seed funding to commercialize a breakthrough technology to produce egg white without chickens. The Onego Bio Ltd shareholders include venture capital investors such as Agronomics and Maki VC. Get to know us better by exploring our webpage www.onego.bio
We are now looking for an experienced research scientist to join our R&D team.
In this position, you will play an essential role in developing, planning, and carrying out research projects with a project team and contribute towards our greater goal of providing animal free egg protein ingredients to the world. Ultimately, we aim to be part of building a sustainable food system with the help of our partners throughout the world. Towards this goal our R&D team will create microbial production systems for expressing egg white proteins using filamentous fungi.
Read more about our past work on the topic:
Your responsibilities as Research Scientist:
- Scientific project work in the fields of protein production and fungal biology
- Using your expertise in molecular biology and strain engineering to create excellent fungal production strains for egg white proteins
- Developing strain screening technologies and workflows for filamentous fungi
- Further developing our fungal expression platforms using the newest innovations
- Working with our bioprocess team to improve the strains and bioprocess conditions
Who we are looking for:
- Proven, excellent laboratory skills and experience in molecular biology techniques such as DNA cloning, genome engineering, protein analysis, protein purification, and possibly genome analysis
- Completed MSc or PhD in biotechnology, molecular biology, or related field.
- One year or more of experience working with filamentous fungi, or possibly yeast.
- Good scientific reporting skills
- Good written and spoken English skills
- Industrial experience working in a biotechnology company would be a big plus
As a person, we hope that you:
- Skilfully and precisely plan and perform experiments
- Self-motivated and willing to take the initiative to get projects accomplished
- Have strong communication and collaboration skills
- Work well with other team members and contribute to a good working environment
- Can tolerate pressure and maintain a good work-life balance
- Are flexible to take on a variety of tasks anticipated in a start-up company
With Onego Bio, you’ll enjoy: / What we offer you:
- Molecular biology with an impact. Onego Bio works on creating cutting-edge microbial protein production systems. Microbial production technology to produce chicken ovalbumin could mitigate the environmental impacts of chicken-egg-derived ovalbumin according to recent study published in Nature Food (https://www.nature.com/articles/s43016-021-00418-2)
- Superb colleagues. With Onego Bio, you’ll join a small, focused group of top experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing ideas.
- Competitive salary. We want to attract the best people, so we will provide competitive salaries.
- Nordic work–life balance. Working in Finland, the happiest country in the world, enables a great quality of life. At Onego Bio, we make our people’s well-being a priority. We offer 6 weeks paid vacation a year and occupational healthcare.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application letter as soon as possible but at the latest by 30 April 2022. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Chris Landowski, Chief Technology Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 12 April 2022 and 30 April 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Helsinki, Finland