Professor Heli Skottman’s eye group develops novel human stem cell-based tools for the corneal and retinal repair through cell transplantation and ophthalmic in vitro tissue models that can be used to model human specific eye disorders. The research group was the first to create parts of human corneas using 3D bioprinting technology and currently group is developing this emerging technology with aim to 3D bioprint full-thickness human corneas for therapeutic applications with fight against cornea blindness.
The post-doctoral position will focus on molecular and functional analyses of human stem cell derived corneal cells produced with innovative methods created by the group, in vitro ophthalmic disease modeling with these cells as well as molecular and functional characterization of novel 3D bioprinted corneal structures.
The candidate will gain expertise in working with multidisciplinary and international research area and supervision of younger researchers and students. The research group fully support also with establishment of independent research pathway in future.
We are seeking outstanding candidates who have a track record of internationally significant research in molecular cell biology. In addition, knowledge on human stem cells and eye tissue biology is preferred but not obligatory.
The suitable candidate has:
- a doctoral degree
- an ability to independently conduct internationally significant research in the field with potential for excellence in research
- strong methodological expertise with molecular cell biology
- experience in collaborating with international scientific networks
- communication skills needed to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position
- proficiency in English
We invite you to be a part of our research team as well as an active, internationally renowned research community at Faculty of Medicine and Health Technology. Tampere University and its higher education community offer a unique multidisciplinary environment for research and education. A trial period of six months (6) applies to all our new employees. The duration of this fixed-term position is two years. The aim is to fill the position from the beginning of August, 2021 but this can be negotiated.
Salaries are based on the job demands level and personal performance appraisal according to the Finnish University Salary System. Postdoctoral Researcher is placed on the job demands levels 5-6 (teaching and research staff category). In addition, salary includes a personal performance component.
Finland offers one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security benefits in the world, including personal and family health care and a variety of family benefits. The Finnish educational system is renowned worldwide. For more information on Finland, please check InfoFinland and This is Finland.
Please read more about working at Tampere University. You can also find more information about us and working and living in Tampere by watching Tampere Higher Education Community – our academic playground.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system (link below). The closing date and time for applications is 10.5.2021 at 23:59 EEST / UTC+3.
Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format. Applications should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (according to Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity guidelines)
- List of publications in international, peer-reviewed and indexed scientific journals (according to the Academy of Finland guidelines). Please indicate your four most important publications and include hyperlinks to these publications. If the publications indicated are not found by link, please attach them to application as a separate PDF attachment.
- Cover letter explaining why you are applying to the position and why you would be particularly suited to it.
- The names, positions and contact details (institutional email addresses) of two professional references who can support your application.
Candidates may be invited to a video interview during the recruitment process. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
For more information about the position, please contact:
professor Heli Skottman, email@example.com; +358 50 3969645