28.7.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
We are now looking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to join the research group of Rajaram Venkatesan in an Academy of Finland funded project aiming to understand the structure and function of a lipid transporting protein complex in mycobacteria.
Applications are invited for a full-time fixed-term postdoctoral researcher position in the research group of Rajaram Venkatesan in the Protein and Structural Biology Research Unit, at the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. The Venkatesan research group works on the structural and functional aspects of enzymes and protein complexes involved in lipid metabolism and transport in human and pathogenic organisms. The Faculty provides an excellent environment for doing cutting edge research in protein science and structural biology with access to state-of-the-art facilities located at Oulu, Finland, as well as across Europe. The research project concerns the study of mammalian-cell-entry (Mce) complexes from mycobacteria to understand the assembly, structure and function. The main tasks of the research project include but is not limited to the isolation and characterization of these Mce complexes from mycobacteria using a variety of biophysical and structural methods. The position is for an Academy of Finland funded project and a fixed-term position for a period of two years. Besides research, the position also includes some teaching duties in the degree programs of the Faculty.
The successful candidate for the postdoctoral researcher position must possess a Doctoral degree in the field of protein science, structural biology, biochemistry, microbiology or related fields. This position is primarily addressed to doctorates whose dissertation is not older than two years. The candidate should have a strong interest in structural, molecular and microbiology research.
Previous demonstrated experience in handling membrane proteins, protein-protein interaction studies, (cryo) electron microscopy and microbiology techniques is considered a significant advantage. The selected candidate should be able to work independently as well as in a group with a drive to excel in research. Fluency in both written and spoken English is required. Most importantly, we expect the candidate to have a high motivation to conduct high-level biochemistry research.
What we offer
We offer a research environment with excellent technological facilities and a motivating and supporting international community at the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University of Oulu. We can also offer access to state-of-the-art facilities located at Oulu, Finland as well as across Europe for doing cutting edge research in protein science and structural biology. We offer you a place in a highly talented research group, working to solve globally significant research problems. University´s wide variety of support services are at your disposal, allowing you to focus on research work. The position is fixed-term for 2 years as of 01.09.2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of 6 months is applied in the position.
The salary will be based on the demand level 5 of the salary system of Finnish Universities for teaching and research personnel. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3500 € per month.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by August 2, 2021 (23:59 Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in this position. Also, information on personal research interests, experience and career plans are valuable to provide here.
2) A complete Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) preferably in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae including a list of publications and contact information of at least two referees who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate.
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
For further information, informal enquires can be sent to Rajaram Venkatesan by E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a subject line “Regarding postdoctoral position”.
8.4.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
We are looking for a Doctoral student in Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine for a part-time (50%), fixed-term two-year position at the University of Oulu at the Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine.
This research project focuses on the interplay between hypoxia signalling, metabolism and fibrosis. The selected student will work under supervision of professors Peppi Karppinen and Terhi Piltonen. The aim of the project is to reveal the causality and relations between these pathways using the sex-hormone driven polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) as a disease model. This is a common syndrome in women affecting about 10% the female population. Fibrosis in liver, ovary and adipose tissue is associated with PCOS and may contribute to high comorbidity among affected women. Our main interests are the hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) and its regulating HIF prolyl 4-hydroxylases. We use mainly molecular and cell biology methods as well as gene-modified mice and preclinical disease models to understand how these pathways interact. This is a project with multidisciplinary approach aiming to answer important clinical questions. We offer a research environment with excellent technological facilities and a motivating and supporting community. More information can be found on our web pages:
To successfully occupy the position, the candidate must possess a degree entitling them to obtain a doctoral degree (MSc or equivalent) preferably in the field of biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, medical sciences or related fields. Degree must have been completed before starting the position and must not be obtained more than 5 years ago. License to conduct animal experiments within the EU is required (proven by a course diploma showing competence according to EU Directive 2010/63, Article 23). Prior experience on animal experiments, preclinical disease models and knowledge on molecular and cellular biology as well as histological and imaging methods are an advantage. Ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team as well as excellent writing and fluency in English are expected.
When assessing the applicant’s qualifications, issues to be considered will include study grades, research experience, possible scientific publications, activity in the scientific community, familiarity with the research field and teamwork skills. The applicant is expected to actively take part in co-applying for funding during the two-year period.
The applicant will be enrolled to University of Oulu Graduate School, so the applicant must fulfill the requirements for admission: https://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission .
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area
- You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your studies and research.
- The salary will be in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 2. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). Further information regarding the salary can be asked from professor Karppinen and professor Piltonen.
- Other benefits: The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services.
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by April 11, 2021 (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1) Complete CV containing contact information of at least two referees (Max. size limit of the attachment: 5 Mbytes)
2) Motivation letter describing prior knowledge and research interests and career plans (maximum 1 page).
3) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish. (Max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes). Additionally, a certificate of sufficient language skills in English and/or Finnish are required for those who have not completed a secondary or higher education degree in the Finnish language (more info, see: https://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission, 4. Language skills)
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed. The earliest start date is 3rd of May 2021. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
For Further Information Contact:
Prof. Peppi Karppinen, e-mail: peppi.karppinen (at) oulu.fi
Prof. Terhi Piltonen, e-mail: terhi.piltonen (at) oulu.fi