14.6.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
The HiLIFE – Institute of Biotechnology (BI), located in the Viikki science park, is a research institute at University of Helsinki. The institute harbors ~35 research groups and 250 researchers, and it operates at the highest international level. For more information on the Institute, please visit https://www.helsinki.fi/en/hilife-institute-of-biotechnology.
The laboratory of Dr. Jette Lengefeld is inviting applications for post-doctoral researchers and/or PhD-students in cell biology and stem cell biology.
The failure to regenerate tissue with age is a major health issue. A contributor to this decline is the loss of stem cell function. Despite the essential role of stem cells, it is still unclear how they fail to maintain their functions during ageing and disease. We discovered a new aspect of stem cell ageing in vivo: cellular enlargement. With age and damage, stem cells increase in size causing their functional decline. However, we are only beginning to understand how size impacts stem cell fitness and the physiological importance of this process remains unsolved.
The Lengefeld research group uses blood (hematopoietic) stem cells from mice and human bone marrow donations to address these fascinating questions:
- What pathways cause stem cell dysfunction during their enlargement?
We use blood (hematopoietic) stem cells of mouse models to identify the molecular mechanisms impairing fitness of large stem cells from a metabolic perspective.
- Can we rejuvenate stem cells after aging and damage?
We explore approaches to rejuvenate stem cells and investigate the effects on cellular ageing and organismal health.
- Does deregulation of size lead to cancer?
We utilize blood stem cells from mice and humans to identify factors that facilitate leukaemia in vivo and to investigate the underlying mechanisms.
The post-doctoral applicants should hold PhD in cell biology, stem cell biology, cell size regulation or a related field. Strong expertise in stem cell biology and experience working with mice is highly beneficial. The PhD-student applicants should obtain MSc or related degree in the biology field latest by August 2022, and have a strong interest to carry out cutting-edge research. The positions will provide multiple opportunities for collaborations with potential lab visits abroad. An attitude to drive own research and work in an intra and inter team fashion is highly appreciated. In return, the candidates are offered an access to a wide variety of methodologies and advanced techniques. The working language of the laboratory, the BI and HiLIFE is English and good communication skills in English are required.
The postdoctoral researcher and PhD-student positions are initially limited to 2 and 4 years, respectively, with a possibility of extension. A trial period of 6 months will be applied, and the salaries will be based on the University salary scheme for teaching and research personnel composed of both task specific and personal performance components.
Application should include the following documents as a single pdf file: CV, list of publications, motivation letter including a description of your research interests, and the names and telephone numbers of at least two referees.
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments, through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system by clicking the “Apply for the position” – link below. Applicants employed by the University of Helsinki must submit their application through the SAP HR portal.
The deadline for the applications is 8th of July 2021, but the positions will be filled immediately once suitable candidates have been identified.
For informal inquiries, contact ‘jette.lengefeld(at)helsinki.fi’, and for more information about our research, please visit https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/hilife-institute-of-biotechnology/research/c…
For technical support regarding the recruitment system, please contact email@example.com.
1.6.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join our multidisciplinary FET OPEN EU consortium project “MindGAP”
The MindGAP project centers around the hypothesis that brain-derived extracellular vesicles (EVs) present in blood can have a positive effect on disease outcomes (https://mindgap-fet-open.eu/home).
MindGAP WP3 is aiming to identify and characterize CNS EV markers targeting them to blood and to identify biomarkers of successful mindfulness in cancer survivors for the development of microfluidic testing device.
The MindGAP project work involves such tasks as EV isolation from biofluids and primary human neural cell cultures, characterization of EV surface proteome, RNA cargo analysis, mindfulness biomarker identification and validation. These studies are performed in collaboration with the rest of the FET OPEN consortia in Sweden, Portugal, and Finland (VTT).
We are looking for a candidate with expertise in biochemistry, biomarker identification and validation, strong molecular biology background, and experience with liquid biopsy/biofluids or EV research.
The selected applicant will perform hands-on experiments in the laboratory, participate in relevant seminars and lectures, write research documentation and reports, and perform teaching duties at the Oulu University Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine.
The position is a fixed term contract for one year. The selected applicant is expected to apply for personal funding to advance their research career.
- The applicant must have a PhD degree in life sciences, at the commencement of the position, that was awarded a maximum of four years ago.
- Applicants should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related field.
- Doctoral students whose PhD thesis will be submitted by the application deadline are eligible to apply.
- An ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, and supervise younger scientists are necessary.
- The candidate should have good written and verbal English skills.
- The successful candidate is expected to have strong expertise in membrane protein isolation and analysis (mass spec sample preparation and analysis), protein chemistry, molecular biology. Experience in medium-throughput protein and nucleic acid biomarker assays, along with liquid biopsy, EV analysis, bioinformatics, and preparation of primary neural cell cultures from human biopsies will be advantageous.
What we offer
- We offer you a place in a highly talented research group, working to solve globally significant research problems.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer.
- The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality, affordable childcare services.
A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. €3100 € per month.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 04.06.2021. The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter describing prior knowledge on the subject matter and personal research interests with career plans (max. 2 pages)
2) Complete CV containing contact information of at least two references
3) List of publications
4) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copies of relevant degree certificates must be included. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish
Only applications submitted through the online recruitment system with the required attachments will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an online interview.
The position is fixed term for maximum of one year as of August 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of 6 months is applied to the position.
For additional information, please contact
Project leader Dr. Genevieve Bart, Adj. Professor, e-mail: genevieve.bart(at)oulu.fi
26.4.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
Principal Investigator Dr. Seppo Vainio, Professor, e-mail: seppo.vainio(at)oulu.fi
The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. Creating new, taking responsibility, and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment for approximately 3 000 employees, where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
Biocenter Oulu (BCO) is strategic focus institute at the University of Oulu and offers a high-level international and multidisciplinary environment supplied with cutting-edge open access research infrastructure services.
The Eklund laboratory invites applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher position. The project aims to study vascular pathologies and to establish novel therapeutic approaches. The project is part of the Academy of Finland’s Flagship Programme GeneCellNano focusing on the innovation and commercial development of new biological drugs (advanced therapy medicinal products, ATMPs), biomarkers and diagnostic tools. The Flagship Programme provides the long-term support for high-quality research at various career stages, increases the societal impact emerging from the research in close connections to the business sector. In the GeneCellNano Flagship, the successful applicant will be part of an consortia of four Finnish Universities and Finnish Red Cross Blood Service jointly working to develop new treatments for chronic diseases. For more information please visit:
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher. We offer a full-time position preferentially starting in August 2021 and lasting until the end of 2024. Work will be carried out in the research group headed by Professor Lauri Eklund (Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu) focusing on endothelial cell and vascular biology in basic and translational research. In the Flagship, Eklund team contributes to the identification of signaling pathways and target molecules for the development of new treatment strategies for vascular and neurodegenerative disease affecting vision. Aim is to dissect disease processes and to test therapeutic potential of novel ATMPs in genetic mouse models using gene therapy approaches, endothelial cell/biochemical studies, and advanced microcopy.
Qualifications and Requirements
To successfully occupy the position, the candidate must possess a PhD degree and have expertise in the field of molecular, cell or developmental biology. Degree must have been completed before starting the position and/or must not be obtained more than 10 years ago. Ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, supervise younger scientists, good scientific presentation skills, excellent writing and fluency in English are required. Prior experience and knowledge of analysis of gene-modified mice, histological and imaging methods, preclinical disease modeling, endothelial cell and vascular biology are considered as an advantage. When assessing the applicant’s qualifications, additional issues to be considered will include scientific publications, supervision experience, success in acquiring funding, activity in the scientific community and familiarity with the research field.
What we offer
You will become a part of a highly talented, multidisciplinary research team working on strategically and globally significant research area.
In addition to your team, outstanding infrastructural resources and specialized core facility service laboratories provided by Biocenter Oulu and the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine will support your work so that you can excel in your research.
There is a wide variety of HR support services and personnel benefits provided by University of Oulu. These include free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents and their families, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare and school services. For the fourth year in a row, Finland has been evaluated as the world’s happiest country according to the UN-sponsored World Happiness Report survey data.
A salary is in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel) level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). In practice, the salary is roughly 3550 € per month (before taxes) for an early stage post doc, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and prior experience. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by April 30, 2021 (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1) Complete CV containing list of publications and contact information of at least two referees (max. size limit of the attachment is 5 Mbytes).
2) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page) describing prior relevant knowledge in the research field, research interests and career plan (1-2 pages; max. size limit of the attachment is 2 Mbytes).
3) Certificates/Diplomas. Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish. (Max. size limit of the attachment is 2 Mbytes).
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
For further information contact:
Prof Lauri Eklund, firstname.lastname@example.org
26.4.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
Professor Heli Skottman’s eye group develops novel human stem cell-based tools for the corneal and retinal repair through cell transplantation and ophthalmic in vitro tissue models that can be used to model human specific eye disorders. The research group was the first to create parts of human corneas using 3D bioprinting technology and currently group is developing this emerging technology with aim to 3D bioprint full-thickness human corneas for therapeutic applications with fight against cornea blindness.
The post-doctoral position will focus on molecular and functional analyses of human stem cell derived corneal cells produced with innovative methods created by the group, in vitro ophthalmic disease modeling with these cells as well as molecular and functional characterization of novel 3D bioprinted corneal structures.
The candidate will gain expertise in working with multidisciplinary and international research area and supervision of younger researchers and students. The research group fully support also with establishment of independent research pathway in future.
We are seeking outstanding candidates who have a track record of internationally significant research in molecular cell biology. In addition, knowledge on human stem cells and eye tissue biology is preferred but not obligatory.
The suitable candidate has:
- a doctoral degree
- an ability to independently conduct internationally significant research in the field with potential for excellence in research
- strong methodological expertise with molecular cell biology
- experience in collaborating with international scientific networks
- communication skills needed to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position
- proficiency in English
We invite you to be a part of our research team as well as an active, internationally renowned research community at Faculty of Medicine and Health Technology. Tampere University and its higher education community offer a unique multidisciplinary environment for research and education. A trial period of six months (6) applies to all our new employees. The duration of this fixed-term position is two years. The aim is to fill the position from the beginning of August, 2021 but this can be negotiated.
Salaries are based on the job demands level and personal performance appraisal according to the Finnish University Salary System. Postdoctoral Researcher is placed on the job demands levels 5-6 (teaching and research staff category). In addition, salary includes a personal performance component.
Finland offers one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security benefits in the world, including personal and family health care and a variety of family benefits. The Finnish educational system is renowned worldwide. For more information on Finland, please check InfoFinland and This is Finland.
Please read more about working at Tampere University. You can also find more information about us and working and living in Tampere by watching Tampere Higher Education Community – our academic playground.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system (link below). The closing date and time for applications is 10.5.2021 at 23:59 EEST / UTC+3.
Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format. Applications should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (according to Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity guidelines)
- List of publications in international, peer-reviewed and indexed scientific journals (according to the Academy of Finland guidelines). Please indicate your four most important publications and include hyperlinks to these publications. If the publications indicated are not found by link, please attach them to application as a separate PDF attachment.
- Cover letter explaining why you are applying to the position and why you would be particularly suited to it.
- The names, positions and contact details (institutional email addresses) of two professional references who can support your application.
Candidates may be invited to a video interview during the recruitment process. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
For more information about the position, please contact:
professor Heli Skottman, email@example.com; +358 50 3969645
26.4.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher / Early Stage Researcher (Translational Immunology) position in Kuopio. The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 August 2021 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 21 May 2021.
Role and salary
As our new Postdoctoral, Project or Early Stage Researcher in Translational Immunology, you will be working in the School of Medicine at the Faculty of Health Sciences, Kuopio Campus.
Our research focuses on the immunological disturbances preceding human type 1 diabetes, with a special emphasis on CD4+ T cells. We utilize state-of-the art single cell methodology to study clinical samples from individuals at different stages of type 1 diabetes autoimmunity.
More details on the research group and research interests can be found at https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/group/immunology-of-type-1-diabetes/
The successful candidate will work on a project funded by the Academy of Finland aiming to analyse CD4+ T cell phenotypic alterations related to autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes. The candidate may also participate in collaborative projects studying cellular immune responses in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis and in patients undergoing immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy for cancers.
The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 August 2021 (or as agreed) due to it pertaining to a specific project. Positions of Early Stage Researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. For a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher, the job requirement component is 3,000.49 euros/month, based on level 5 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff.
For an Early stage Researcher, the job requirement component is 2,078.27 -2,591.28 euros/month, based on levels 2-4 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be between 6-50 % of the above-mentioned sums.
At the beginning the salary will be 3,180.52-3,480.57 € (as Postdoctoral / Project Researcher) or 2,202.97-2,850.41 € (as Early Stage Researcher).
Our requirements and expectations
The successful candidate will:
- Have a PhD in immunology or a related discipline (for Postdoctoral/Project Researcher position) If you have been awarded your doctoral degree less than five years ago, the post will be one of a Postdoctoral Researcher. If the doctoral degree has been awarded more than five years ago, the post will be one of a Project Researcher. In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period time, which does not include parental leaves, or military service.
- Have a MSc in biosciences or related discipline (for Early stage Researcher position); have completed a suitable higher university degree or an equivalent education abroad which in the country in question would qualify the person for similar academic studies. Also you shall be qualified to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Eastern Finland by enrolling in one of the doctoral programmes of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
- Have a good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Possess the ability to work independently and to supervise students.
- Be willing to contribute to writing peer-reviewed publications and applications for research funding.
Previous experience in some of the following techniques is considered highly advantageous:
- High-parameter flow cytometry with experience in panel design and analysis
- Magnetic and flow-cytometric cell sorting
- T-cell culture
- Single cell omics
- Basic biostatistics/bioinformatics (FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, SPSS, SeqGeq)
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
– extensive occupational health care
– staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other
– affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting/meaningful/diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 21.5.2021 (by24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
13.4.2021 | Avoimet työpaikat
For further information on the position, please contact: Professor Tuure Kinnunen, +358 29 445 4980, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact HR-secretary Henna Miettinen, +358 29 445 4634, email@example.com.
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher/Project Researcher, Molecular biology position, School of Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine, Kuopio Campus. Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 3rd of May 2021.
Role and Salary
We are seeking for a Postdoctoral Researcher/Project Researcher to join the Academy of Finland funded project studying ‘SUMOylation-regulated chromatin protein networks in transcription factor-directed cellular differentiation’ led by Professor Jorma Palvimo.
The project investigates how SUMOylation, an intriguing nuclear post-translational modification, regulates networks of chromatin proteins during transcription factor-directed cellular differentiation and reprogramming. The project utilizes genome- and proteome-wide approaches with cell models. The project also investigates the chromatin SUMOylation in the context of glucocorticoid resistance in leukemia cells.
More information of the PI and research is available on the web pages https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/person/jorma.palvimo/
More information of the Institute of Biomedicine is available https://www.uef.fi/en/unit/institute-of-biomedicine
The position will be filled for a three-year term starting from 1 June 2021, or later by agreement. The position will be filled for a fixed term due to it pertaining to a specific project. Job is a full-time position.
A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. In this position, the job requirement component is 3000,49 euros/month, based on level 5 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6 % and a maximum of 50 % of the above-mentioned sum. The estimated salary in the beginning of the employment will be 3 300,50 – 3 660,56 €.
Our requirements and expectations
- PhD degree in Molecular Biology or related discipline
- firm training in molecular biology or biochemistry
- experience in chromatin biology and genome-wide or proteome-wide approaches
The person to be appointed to the Postdoctoral Researcher Position is required to hold a doctoral degree, which may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of accepting the position. (In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period of time, which does not include maternity leaves, parental leaves, or military service, etc.). If the person to be appointed has received a doctoral degree more than five years ago, the position will be filled as a Project Researcher.
You will have an access to the University’s staff benefits, including
- extensive occupational health care
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than May 3, 2021 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application: The electronic application should contain the following appendices:
– a résumé or CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
– a list of publications (http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines-for-list-of-publications/)
– motivation letter
– copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates/ diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
– scientific merits and research work
For further information on the position, please contact Professor Jorma Palvimo, +358 29 445 4250, firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the application procedure, please contact HR Secretary Minna Leskinen, +358 29 445 4278, email@example.com.