Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor in Pharmaceutical Protein Drug Research (FinPharma) – University of Helsinki18.9.2019
The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an attractive and diverse workplace in an inspiring environment with a variety of development opportunities and benefits.
Pharmaceutical drug research is a strong field within University of Helsinki’s Life Sciences strategic area and highly ranked internationally. The high scientific level is a prerequisite for new discoveries, urgently needed for translating the findings of basic research into therapeutic applications. The University of Helsinki has created, with the University of Eastern Finland and Åbo Akademi University, FinPharma, a new Finnish Platform for Pharmaceutical Research. FinPharma will renew the pharmaceutical drug research through the novel research areas across the boundaries of traditional pharmaceutical disciplines and nurturing of national and international collaboration. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma.
The Faculty of Pharmacy (http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy):
• ranked #47 in the world in the ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
• is located on Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks
• has about 200 employees, out of which 15 professors
• has about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs
• cross-disciplinary Drug Research Program of the Faculty (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/research/drug-research-pr…) and the Doctoral School of Health Sciences will form the operational framework for this position linking nationally to FinPharma
The Faculty of Pharmacy invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN PHARMACEUTICAL PROTEIN DRUG RESEARCH
Internationally, the most important breakthrough medicines have recently been therapeutic proteins, such as monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins and coagulation factors. It is noteworthy that pharmaceutical industry, also in Finland, is emphasizing protein drug development, but education of experts in this field in Finland is still very limited. Pharmaceutical development of protein drugs involves therapeutic protein production, engineering, formulation and delivery. This field is at the interface of biotechnology and pharmaceutical sciences.
The position will be based at the Division of Pharmaceutical Biosciences. Main responsibilities of the appointee will include leading a research group that conducts top-level research in the aforementioned fields that are relevant in pharmaceutical protein development. The appointee participates in teaching of undergraduate students and doctoral students in the field of pharmaceutical biology, particularly as related to therapeutic proteins.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
The successful applicant may be appointed to a permanent full professorship or a fixed-term assistant/ associate professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the career path and a description of the tenure track model at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t….
An appointee to the position of an assistant/associate professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• applicant’s expertise in the research field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in successfully leading research projects
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience, other international experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor may amount
to 54,000 – 68,000 euros and for a professor to 67,000 – 90,000 euros
depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
• Application must include an academic portfolio (in English), which
includes applicant’s CV, publication list and scientific activity
including acquired research funding, report on the experience and merits
related to teaching skills; as well as a plan for advancing research
and teaching in the field of professorship (maximum of 5 pages).
• More information on the report related to teaching skills: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/faculty/jobs-and-vacancie….
• A general example of the structure of an academic portfolio: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/academic-portfolio.
Please submit your application, with the academic portfolio as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 17 November, 2019.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit 5-10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• About the position and the operational environment: Faculty of Pharmacy, Head of the Division of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, professor Päivi Tammela, paivi.tammela(at)helsinki.fi, +358504480886
• About the recruitment process, tenure track model and academic portfolio: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341, technical support with the recruitment system also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
17.11.2019 23:59 EET