Early Stage Researcher, Molecular Physiology – University of Eastern Finland19.2.2022
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for an Early Stage Researcher position on the Kuopio Campus. The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 May 2022 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 2 March 2022.
Role and salary
An Early Stage Researcher position is available in the Molecular Physiology research group at the A.I. Virtanen Institute for molecular sciences, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland. The Molecular Physiology research group has a longstanding interest in the comprehensive understanding of cell physiology and cellular dysfunction in excitable cells, including muscle and heart.
We are seeking a highly motivated Early Stage Researcher for a project in which bioengineered human iPS-cells based cardiac tissues are used to identify clinically relevant genetic, metabolic, and physiological mechanisms of human diseases.
The position requires a strong track record in working in field and laboratory environments studying biomedicine or other related topics. This includes also mastering various measurement and analysis techniques, especially those related to physiology, genetics, and biochemistry.
The position enables the researcher to take part in supervising Bachelor and Master’s students, scientific writing, grant applications, scientific collaborations and teaching in suitable areas.
The position is filled for a two-year term from 1 May 2022 (or as agreed) to 30 April 2024. Positions of Early Stage Researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term. The position will be filled for a fixed term due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of Finnish universities and is based on 2 – 4 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research staff (2,078.27 – 2,591.28 euros/month). In addition to the job requirement component, the salary includes a personal performance component, which can be a minimum of 6 % and a maximum of 50 % of the job requirement component. Depending on the job requirement component and the personal performance component, the salary will be approximately 2,286 – 3,138 euros/month at the beginning of the employment relationship.
Our requirements and expectations
- Qualifications to pursue postgraduate studies, i.e. a suitable higher university degree (e.g. Master’s degree in physiology, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology or other relevant field) or an equivalent education abroad which in the country in question would qualify the person for similar academic studies,
- Good communication skills in English, both oral and written are required.
- Experience in stem cell work and cell physiological experiments, practical experience in standard biochemistry and molecular biology laboratory work as well as basic knowledge of microscopic techniques,
- Experience in gene editing, bioengineering, transcriptional and metabolic analysis is an advantage.
- Good communication and presentation skills,
- The ability to work in international and multidisciplinary research teams,
- Ambition to create and present own ideas, passion for discovery and knowledge as well as positive attitude to teamwork.
Your benefits You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
- extensive occupational health care,
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services,
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 2 March 2022 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application
- CV (https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
- copies of your academic degree certificates/diplomas, and copies of certificates/diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- motivation letter
- names and contact information (e-mail and phone number) of two referees
For further information on the position, please contact Professor Pasi Tavi, email@example.com, tel. +358 29 445 4220
For further information on the application procedure,please contact HR Secretary Tarja Salmi, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 29 445 8220.
University of Eastern Finland and the Faculty of Health Sciences in brief
The University of Eastern Finland is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We are home to 16,000 students and 3,000 staff members. Our research is ranked among the best in the world in several fields. We generate research-based knowledge and make it openly accessible for the benefit of all. UEF stands for action with impact that is relevant today and tomorrow. To learn more about our university please visit our website at www.uef.fi/en.
The Faculty of Health Sciences operates at the Kuopio Campus of the University of Eastern Finland. The Faculty offers education in medicine, dentistry, nutrition and pharmacy, as well as in some other central fields of the health care sector. The Faculty is research-intensive, and its internationally recognised research activities are closely linked to the strategic research areas of the University. There are approximately 3,100 degree students and about 580 PhD students in the Faculty. The faculty has 800 staff members. http://www.uef.fi/en/ttdk/etusivu