In-Vivo Imaging Scientist – Charles River Laboratories, Kuopio28.5.2020
For over 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
In-vivo Imaging Scientist
We are looking for In-Vivo Imaging Scientist with proven track record in in vivo imaging in preclinical neuroscience to join Charles River site located in Kuopio, Finland.
The position requires expertise in imaging of central nervous system (CNS) in preclinical (rodent) models with emphasis on functional and pharmacological MRI applications in in vivo pharmacology studies. Nuclear imaging experience is not required but considered as an advantage.
In this position you are responsible to lead the studies independently or manage the imaging component within larger Client projects in CNS drug discovery field and ensure the scientific excellence in study design, execution, data analysis and reporting of the imaging results. The MRI Scientist will lead execution of the projects by working closely with the in vivo and imaging teams. The responsibilities of this position include regular communication with the Clients and team members in all phases of the projects.
The position requires practical knowledge in using MRI hardware and software, capabilities to set up and develop, and/or validate new techniques and models in team’s and company’s R&D projects. The MRI scientist will provide scientific input, serve as a scientific expert and assists sales and marketing by providing scientific materials for commercial use.
- Higher education degree in biological/life/biomedical physics science (MSc, MD), preferably PhD degree.
- At least 2-3 years of experience with CNS in vivo imaging work and studies in animals, including proven track of independent project execution and project management.
- Knowledge and practical experience in MRI and functional neuroimaging (fMRI, rs-fMRI, phMRI, etc.) is required, experience in conducting drug efficacy studies will be an asset.
- Knowledge and practical experience in common imaging data analysis pipelines and tools, such as Matlab, SPM, FSL and/or other programming environments (e.g. Python) and related skills are considered as an advantage.
- Experience in preclinical nuclear imaging (e.g. PET and SPECT) and data-analysis are considered as an advantage
- Understanding of key features and having practical experience with in vivo pharmacology studies in CNS area including both genetically modified animal models and surgically/chemically induced models and related behavioral assays is desired
- Ability to quickly adapt to challenging and changing research environment conditions and to effectively manage them by utilizing his/her knowledge and experience in various scientific projects
- Fluent oral and written English, scientific writing skills, excellent communication skills, interpersonal and teamwork abilities
- Proactive and self-driven attitude
- Good problem solving and troubleshooting skills, ability to coordinate and prioritize
- Track record in people management, ability to mentor and train staff will be an asset
- Pharmaceutical industry, Preclinical Contract Research Organization or academic post-doctoral experience will be an asset.
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.