Multiple short-term doctoral researcher positions in the Health and Biosciences doctoral programme of the University of Oulu Graduate School – University of Oulu24.9.2022
The University of Oulu is part of the international scientific community producing new scientific knowledge and science-based solutions related to problems of the society. The University of Oulu is committed to educate future pioneers for building a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new knowledge, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. The specialized research and service units of the University of Oulu enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields. Doctoral researchers in the University of Oulu are part of an international, multidisciplinary scientific community. Doctoral training is coordinated by the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS).
We are now looking motivated candidates for
Multiple short-term doctoral researcher positions
in the Health and Biosciences doctoral programme (HBS-DP) of the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS).
HBS-DP gathers clinical medicine, biomedicine, biochemistry, molecular medicine, dentistry, health sciences and medical technology under the umbrella of a multidisciplinary training programme.
In the current call, there are multiple full-time short-term positions (3-6 months) and multiple full-time one year positions available in HBS-DP for 2023 (starting at the earliest on 1.1.2023 and ending the latest on 31.12.2023).
Please note that you can apply for either a one year or a short-term (3-6 months) position, but not both.
Eligibility and Requirements
As an eligible candidate, you have a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree in a field relevant to the applied field. The major subject of the doctoral researcher is expected to be in the Doctoral Degree Programme of Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Health Sciences or Dentistry. The degree must have been completed before the selection with at least good grades. You must meet all the requirements to receive doctoral study rights as defined in: https://www.oulu.fi/en/research/graduate-school/admissions.
– In the short-term positions, the priority will be given to doctoral researchers working as a professional in the healthcare with a degree of Licentiate of Medicine, Licentiate of Dentistry or Master of Health Sciences.
– In the one year positions, priority will be given to such doctoral researchers whose supervisor’s research group is not receiving strategic funding (via focus institutes, emerging projects, doctoral programmes etc.) related to doctoral training from the University of Oulu during the funding period 2023. In the one year positions, any applicant who has received doctoral study rights on or earlier than 31.12.2019 need to explain why they should still be considered as eligible applicants and to assure the motivation for graduating during one year.
Prior to submitting, applicants are expected to find a prospective main supervisor in an eligible research unit. Applicants are advised to seek potential supervisors in the faculty web pages (https://www.oulu.fi/en/university/faculties-and-units). The proposed main supervisor must clearly be identified in the application form (full name, title, position, faculty and research unit at the University of Oulu). A letter from the proposed supervisor willing to commit for supervision must be attached into the applicant’s set of documents (see below).
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the commitment letter does not bind the proposed supervisor to any commitment, if the applicant is not selected into the doctoral researcher position applied here and for which the letter of support was provided.
Salary and key terms
The salary will be initially set on level 2, and later on levels 2 – 4 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a supplementary remuneration is given for personal achievement and performance (max. 50 %). In practice, the salary is roughly 2200 – 2700 € per month for an early stage researcher, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and progress of the doctoral thesis.
The positions are filled earliest in the beginning of 2023 and ending the latest at December 31, 2023. A trial period is applied to these positions with maximum length being half of the employment period.
How to apply
Submit your application and attachments in English (with exceptions for Certificates/Diplomas) through the online system by 16th of October, 2022 (23:59 Finnish local time). Please include the following attachments as five separate pdf files (please note that the online system has a maximum size limit for attachments):
- CV: Including a list of all peer-reviewed scientific publications with full reference details following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity: http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
- Motivation letter: Describing prior knowledge, research interests and career plan (max 1 page).
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into Finnish or English.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor: Please follow the structure given in the guidelines of the Academy of Finland (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/research-plan-structure/2020/porst-doctoral-clinical/) However, for the current purpose, the texts under the given section headings need not cover all bullet points in the guidelines, and the maximum length of the (draft) plan’s body of text must not exceed 3 pages with 10-12 point font size and with at least 1,5 cm margins. A fourth page can be used for the list of references only. Thus, the max total length of the plan including the references is 4 pages. Exceeding the page limit will either result in disqualification or removal of the extra pages from the document.
- Letter of provisional commitment from the supervisor (the pre-formulated form that must be used):In this document the eligible supervisor (either a professor or a docent level researcher who is employed by the University of Oulu) states his/her willingness to act as the supervisor for the applicant. Commitment letter must include the provisional supervisor’s assurance that the research unit director is aware of and committed to the financial obligations related to these positions. The University will cover only part of the costs related to this position and the unit will cover the rest. Typically, 20-35% of the salary and sidecosts remain to be covered by research unit. All other other costs are to be covered by research unit.
Applications received after the deadline, incomplete applications, and/or applications with attachments that exceed the specified limits, will not be considered.
Application and evaluation process
Evaluation and ranking of the applications will take place in multiple stages. First, ineligible or incomplete applications are rejected. Second, eligible and complete applications are evaluated and ranked by the evaluation panel. Third, applications with highest scores from the second round will be further evaluated and ranked by the corresponding Doctoral Training Committee. All applicants will be informed of the selection by e-mail.
About eligibility and degree requirements, see the Graduate School website:
About the evaluation process: HBS-DP coordinator Mirja Peltola (email@example.com).