Postdoctoral Researcher, Bioinformatics & Computational Sciences – University of Eastern Finland, Institute of Biomedicine24.1.2021
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the largest multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We offer education in nearly one hundred major subjects, and are home to approximately 15,500 students and 2,700 members of staff. We operate in Joensuu and Kuopio. In international rankings, we are ranked among the leading universities in the world.
The Faculty of Health Sciences operates at the Kuopio Campus of the University of Eastern Finland. The Faculty offers education in medicine, dentistry, nutrition and pharmacy, as well as in some other central fields of the health care sector. The Faculty is research-intensive, and its internationally recognised research activities are closely linked to the strategic research areas of the University. There are approximately 2 500 degree students and about 450 PhD students in the Faculty. The faculty has 680 staff members. http://www.uef.fi/en/ttdk/etusivu
We are now inviting applications for
a Postdoctoral Researcher (Bioinformatics & Computational Sciences), School of Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine, Kuopio Campus
A Postdoctoral Researcher position is available in the research group led by Assistant Professor Vittorio Fortino in the Institute of Biomedicine, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences (UEF) in Kuopio. The group focuses on developing and applying advanced computational approaches to tackle biomedical questions such as biomarker and drug discovery. Applicants with background in bioinformatics analysis of omics data and machine learning are encouraged to apply.
The position is part of a project aiming to develop data-driven and knowledge-based approaches for the discovery of omics-informed biomarkers. The post-doc employed will work on Machine Learning and Bioinformatics methods that integrates pathway and network analysis of -omics data to identify robust biomarker signatures which are reliable in terms of predictive power as well as functional relevance.
A person to be appointed as a postdoctoral researcher shall hold a suitable doctoral degree. Positions of postdoctoral researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term (UEF University Regulations, Section 31).
The person to be appointed to the Postdoctoral Researcher Position is required to hold a doctoral degree, which may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of accepting the position. In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period of time, which does not include maternity leaves, parental leaves, or military service, etc.
The post-doc employed will have a central role in developing and applying approaches for the processing and analysis of omics data as well as machine learning within this project. He/She will have an inquisitive mindset, a proactive attitude, and the desire to further develop his/her skills for data science.
Applicants must hold a PhD or an equivalent degree within a relevant field, e.g. bioinformatics or informatics, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- A solid computational (informatics/computer science) background is required.
- Solid knowledge and practical experience in bioinformatics is required.
- Experience from analysis of at least two different types of omics (e.g. gene expression data, genomic data – GWAS, DNA methylation data, etc.) is required.
- Experience programming in a relevant programming language (e.g., R and Python) is required.
- Practical experience working with machine learning methods is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a team.
- Applicants must have good skills in oral and written English.
- Previous research experience and ambitions will also count during the evaluation process.
The position is filled for a fixed-term of two years with a possibility of extension (+ 2). The full-time position will start in March 2021, or later by agreement.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of Finnish universities and is based on level 5 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research staff (2 967,84 €/month). In addition to the job requirement component, the salary includes a personal performance component, which may be a maximum of 50 % of the job requirement component.
For further information on the position, please contact: Assistant Prof. Vittorio Fortino, +358 29 445 4197, email@example.com. For further information on the application procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The electronic application should contain the following appendices (all in English):
– a résumé or CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
– a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
– research plan
– contact information of two references, and possible reference letters
– copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates/ diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
The application needs to be submitted no later than 10.02.2021 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time) by using the electronic application form.