Postdoctoral Researcher, MindGAP, Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine1.6.2021
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join our multidisciplinary FET OPEN EU consortium project “MindGAP”
The MindGAP project centers around the hypothesis that brain-derived extracellular vesicles (EVs) present in blood can have a positive effect on disease outcomes (https://mindgap-fet-open.eu/home).
MindGAP WP3 is aiming to identify and characterize CNS EV markers targeting them to blood and to identify biomarkers of successful mindfulness in cancer survivors for the development of microfluidic testing device.
The MindGAP project work involves such tasks as EV isolation from biofluids and primary human neural cell cultures, characterization of EV surface proteome, RNA cargo analysis, mindfulness biomarker identification and validation. These studies are performed in collaboration with the rest of the FET OPEN consortia in Sweden, Portugal, and Finland (VTT).
We are looking for a candidate with expertise in biochemistry, biomarker identification and validation, strong molecular biology background, and experience with liquid biopsy/biofluids or EV research.
The selected applicant will perform hands-on experiments in the laboratory, participate in relevant seminars and lectures, write research documentation and reports, and perform teaching duties at the Oulu University Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine.
The position is a fixed term contract for one year. The selected applicant is expected to apply for personal funding to advance their research career.
- The applicant must have a PhD degree in life sciences, at the commencement of the position, that was awarded a maximum of four years ago.
- Applicants should have a degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related field.
- Doctoral students whose PhD thesis will be submitted by the application deadline are eligible to apply.
- An ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, and supervise younger scientists are necessary.
- The candidate should have good written and verbal English skills.
- The successful candidate is expected to have strong expertise in membrane protein isolation and analysis (mass spec sample preparation and analysis), protein chemistry, molecular biology. Experience in medium-throughput protein and nucleic acid biomarker assays, along with liquid biopsy, EV analysis, bioinformatics, and preparation of primary neural cell cultures from human biopsies will be advantageous.
What we offer
- We offer you a place in a highly talented research group, working to solve globally significant research problems.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer.
- The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality, affordable childcare services.
A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. €3100 € per month.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 04.06.2021. The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter describing prior knowledge on the subject matter and personal research interests with career plans (max. 2 pages)
2) Complete CV containing contact information of at least two references
3) List of publications
4) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copies of relevant degree certificates must be included. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish
Only applications submitted through the online recruitment system with the required attachments will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an online interview.
The position is fixed term for maximum of one year as of August 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of 6 months is applied to the position.
For additional information, please contact
Project leader Dr. Genevieve Bart, Adj. Professor, e-mail: genevieve.bart(at)oulu.fi
Principal Investigator Dr. Seppo Vainio, Professor, e-mail: seppo.vainio(at)oulu.fi