Postdoctoral Researcher, Studies of Fertility15.5.2022
We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent, and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility, and succeeding together build a strong foundation in all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
We are now seeking a talented scientist for a 3-year fixed-term
position in the group of assistant professor Renata Prunskaite-Hyyryläinen to work on a project focused to understand the genetic and molecular basis of male and female fertility. The research project is carried out under the FIBROBESITY programme – targeting obesity-related fibrotic pathologies. More information can be found at https://www.oulu.fi/en/fibrohealth-combatting-fibrosis-chronic-diseases
The research group is affiliated with the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. We have two major focus areas: (i) characterization of genes critical for male fertility and (ii) uterine morphogenesis studies through the lifetime and have specific interest in three-dimensional (3D) imaging. Selected publications: doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1008954, doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1608458113, doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-23571-5, and doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddv621.
The research project focuses on researching molecular bases of fertility. The main tasks include working with broad variety of molecular and cell biology methods, transgenic mouse models, cell culture, RNA seq data analysis, as well as basic and advanced microscopy.
– A doctoral degree, or proof of a defense date, preferably in the field of biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, medical sciences, or related fields. Your doctoral degree must be completed before the job contract starts. The doctoral degree must have been received no more than 10 years ago.
– Knowhow in molecular and cellular biology, histology, and imaging methods, as well as experience in research with mouse models are required. Experience in RNAseq data analysis will be viewed as an advantage.
– Certified competence to carry out procedures on animals
– Ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, supervise younger scientists, as well as excellent speaking and writing skills in English are expected
What we offer
– You will become a part of a growing research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area well integrated to the international scientific community
– You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your studies and research/work
– In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months/year
– A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). In practice, the salary is roughly 3,400 € per month (before taxes) for an early-stage postdoc, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and prior experience. The position is fixed-term 3-year and will start 1st of August or as soon as possible thereafter. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
– Other benefits: The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example a possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by 29th of May 2022 (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1) Complete CV according to the guidelines of the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity (https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae) including a list of publications and contact information of at least two referees who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate (max. size limit of the attachment: 5 Mbytes)
2) Motivation letter summarizing professional experience, expertise and describing why you are interested in this position. Information on personal research interests, and career plans is valuable to provide here (1 – 2 pages; max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes).
3) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English (max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes)
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
Eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
Informal inquiries can be sent to Renata Prunskaite-Hyyryläinen e-mail [renata.prunskaite(at)oulu.fi] with the subject line “Regarding postdoctoral researcher position”.