Postdoctoral Researcher (Translational Immunology) position – University of Eastern Finland, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Kuopio Campus31.1.2021
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is one of the largest multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We offer education in nearly one hundred major subjects, and are home to approximately 15,500 students and 2,700 members of staff. We operate in Joensuu and Kuopio. In international rankings, we are ranked among the leading universities in the world.
The Faculty of Health Sciences operates at the Kuopio Campus of the University of Eastern Finland. The Faculty offers education in medicine, dentistry, nutrition and pharmacy, as well as in some other central fields of the health care sector. The Faculty is research-intensive, and its internationally recognised research activities are closely linked to the strategic research areas of the University. There are approximately 2 500 degree students and about 450 PhD students in the Faculty. The faculty has 680 staff members. http://www.uef.fi/en/ttdk/etusivuWe are now inviting applications for
a Postdoctoral Researcher (Translational Immunology) position, Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Kuopio Campus
Our research focuses on the immunological disturbances preceding human type 1 diabetes, with a special emphasis on CD4+ T cells. We utilize state-of-the art single cell methodology to study clinical samples from individuals at different stages of type 1 diabetes autoimmunity.
More details on the research group and research interests can be found at https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/group/immunology-of-type-1-diabetes/
The successful candidate will work on a project funded by the Academy of Finland aiming to analyse CD4+ T cell phenotypic alterations related to autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes. The candidate may also participate in collaborative projects studying cellular immune responses in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis and in patients undergoing immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy for cancers.
The position is filled for a fixed-term period of two years starting from 1 April 2021 until 31 March 2023, or as agreed upon with the candidate, with a possibility to extend. The position is filled for a fixed-term due to it pertaining to a specific project (Academy of Finland project 15141, project duration: 1.9.2020-31.8.2024)
The candidate should:
• Have a PhD in immunology or a related discipline
• Have a good knowledge of written and spoken English
• Possess the ability to work independently and to supervise students
• Be willing to contribute to writing peer-reviewed publications and applications for research funding
Previous experience in some of the following techniques is considered highly advantageous:
• T-cell culture
• High-parameter flow cytometry with experience in panel design and analysis
• Magnetic and flow-cytometric cell sorting
• Single cell omics
• Basic biostatistics/bioinformatics (FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, SPSS, SeqGeq) A person to be appointed as a postdoctoral researcher shall hold a suitable doctoral degree. Positions of postdoctoral researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term (UEF University Regulations, Section 31).
The person to be appointed to the Postdoctoral Researcher Position is required to hold a doctoral degree, which may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of accepting the position. In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period of time, which does not include maternity leaves, parental leaves, or military service, etc.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of Finnish universities and is based on level 5 of the job requirement level chart for teaching and research staff (€2,967.84/ month). In addition to the job requirement component, the salary includes a personal performance component, which may be a maximum of 50 % of the job requirement component.
For further information on the position, please contact: Professor Tuure Kinnunen, +358 29 445 4980, email@example.com.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact: HR-secretary Henna Miettinen, +358 29 445 4634, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The electronic application should contain the following appendices:
– a résumé or CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
– a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
– copies of the applicant’s academic degree certificates/ diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to the applicant’s language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
– motivation letter ((including description of applicant’s research interests, work experience and relevant skills for the position)
– recommendation letter(s) (if available)
The application needs to be submitted no later than 26.2.2021 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time) by using the electronic application form.