R&D Scientist, Bioinformatics – ThermoFisher Scientific, Finland14.11.2020
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com .
Our Finland locations include Vantaa and Joensuu, employing over 900 professionals supporting functions such as production, instrument and reagent manufacturing, R&D, marketing, sales, quality, administrative support and supply chain. We hire experts in different fields including engineering, chemistry, microbiology and bioinformatics. Our Vantaa site develops pipettes and microplate instruments and develops and manufactures clinical chemistry and industrial chemistry analyzers, laboratory automation solutions and food safety kits. It is conveniently located close to the Vantaankoski railway station. Please read more about Finnish sites, innovative work and collaborative colleagues at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/global/en/finland .
Take a look how our software professionals in Finland are enjoying our innovative work atmosphere and the role they are playing in helping humankind: https://youtu.be/wDm4NLxq3nI
How will you make an impact?
Thermo Fisher Scientific is currently recruiting for an R&D Scientist, Bioinformatics to join the Research and Development department based in Vantaa, Finland.
R&D Scientist, Bioinformatics position reporting to the R&D Supervisor, Molecular Food Protection. The jobholder is working in one of the molecular food protection R&D teams with up to 5 other Scientists/Lab technicians on the development, optimization and verification of NGS based methods for the speciation of meat, fish and plant species, and the detection and characterization of foodborne pathogens.
Essential tasks, responsibilities and authorizations
- Sustaining Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) process and mapping out and applying methods to support NGS product development and implementing the new methods and applications
- Supporting, developing and identifying improvements to assays for species identification
- Following advancements in the field of sequencing and communicating these to the team
- Developing assays and methods for bacterial identification
- Evaluating project risks and providing formal risk assessment reviews
- Development of new products based on Real Time PCR and NGS to complement the current product range
- Executing analyses for assay development (sequence similarity analysis, inclusivity/exclusivity analyses) and oligo design
- Using bioinformatics pathways to support all projects involving micro-organisms sequence data handling and inclusion/exclusion studies
- Processing sequencing data
- Interpret large, complex and ambiguous datasets, and extract key findings from datasets quickly and accurately
- Proactively identifying improvements to current computational processes and product designs to ensure reliability, accuracy and speed of analyses and robust best in class products
- Supporting the existing products, updating and writing instructions and SOP’s
- Supporting customer issues by answering to technical support requests
- Ensuring quality standards set for new and current products are maintained
- Fulfillment of the responsibilities of the position as defined in the Company Health, Safety and Environmental policies and associated Codes of Practice
- Will work on several projects simultaneously and balance changing needs
- Will work in own team and with others at the same level in other teams as well as interact with other teams and departments
Master’s degree or higher in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Engineering discipline
Minimum Requirements for Experience and Skills
- 2 years of experience of working in the field of molecular biology, R&D and product support
- Knowledge of bioinformatics methods and tools especially for sequence and database analysis
- Expertise with comparative genomics tools (BLAST, multiple alignments, phylogenetic analysis
- Advanced Linux/Unix work environment skills
- Expertise in at least one high-level programming language
- Familiarity with Bash, R and Git
- Familiarity with bacterial and viral taxonomy and naming conventions
- Familiarity with NCBI/ENA databases
- Fluent written and spoken English and preferably Finnish
Please send in your application, including a cover letter, CV and salary request in English. Please apply via http://jobs.thermofisher.com/ by 4 th December 2020. Reference: 135414BR. Please apply as soon as possible, the position will be filled as soon as suitable candidate is found.
If you have questions about Thermo Fisher Scientific and/or the position – please contact Tiina Karla, R&D Supervisor, Specialty Diagnostics Group. email@example.com
Recruiter is John Kirtley @firstname.lastname@example.org
Each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. It’s not just a career, it’s a chance to realise your best – professionally and personally.
Join us and contribute to our mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer: http://jobs.thermofisher.com Apply