Senior R&D Scientist, microbiology & molecular biology – ThermoFisher Scientific, Finland14.12.2020
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com .
Our Finland locations include Vantaa and Joensuu, employing over 900 professionals supporting functions such as production, instrument and reagent manufacturing, R&D, marketing, sales, quality, administrative support and supply chain. We hire experts in different fields including engineering, chemistry, microbiology and bioinformatics. Our Vantaa site develops pipettes and microplate instruments as well as clinical chemistry and industrial chemistry analyzers, laboratory automation solutions and food safety kits. It is conveniently located close to the Vantaankoski railway station. Please read more about Finnish sites, innovative work and collaborative colleagues at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/global/en/finland .
Take a look how our software professionals in Finland are enjoying our innovative work atmosphere and the role they are playing in helping humankind: https://youtu.be/wDm4NLxq3nI
Senior R&D Scientist, Microbiology & Molecular biology
How will you make an impact?
Are you a proactive, self-driven result orientated team player with analytical thinking skills? We are looking for a Senior R&D Scientist reporting to the R&D Manager, Molecular Food Protection within a team of up to 15 other scientists. You have a strong ’Customer first’ mindset and you drive quality and continuous improvement. You want to contribute to general food safety through high quality molecular pathogen tests. You enjoy working with high technology products and driving multiple initiatives at the same time. You want to develop yourself and the way of working. We offer motivating tasks in an innovative and international working environment. You will be working in the Microbiology Division (MBD) Vantaa Food Protection R&D team.
Have a look at what we do: PCR Food Testing for Pathogen Detection
What will you do?
You will be part of the molecular food protection R&D team responsible for designing, developing and validating new molecular diagnostic products for the detection of foodborne pathogens to complement the current microbiology product range. Your work will include new product development, product quality, maintenance and support related tasks focused on microbiological and molecular biological methods. You are expected to contribute to the projects with high level planning, guidance and overseeing the project team, ensuring the specifications and expectations are met. The role expands to leading technology research and feasibility studies with internal and external customers, commercialized product sustaining and support activities. The jobholder works closely and is expected to influence R&D peers in the UK, Finland and the US, and similarly with colleagues in Operations, Marketing and Sales.
- Leading the translation of customer needs defined by Product Management into product specification criteria and experimental activities.
- Creating high level project and technical work plans with timelines and resources and communicating them to the R&D Manager and project team.
- Leading and managing practical activities and ensuring successful implementation of the work plan.
- Utilizing expertise to ensure molecular food protection solutions are accurate, innovative and easy to use.
- Assessing the capabilities of the project team and working with the R&D Manager to ensure adequate support is in place to execute practical activities according to plan.
- Identifying associated technical risks, implementing mitigation strategies and communicating them effectively to stakeholders.
- Leading transfer to production activities for new products and sustaining and supporting for existing products.
How will you get here?
- Master’s degree or higher in biosciences or biotechnology or related field (e.g. microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, engineering discipline)
- Several years of experience in diagnostic method development is essential
- Foundational knowledge, experience and advanced competency in molecular and microbiological techniques and methods
- Experience in protein purification and characterization processes, DNA polymerase in particular
- Experience in working under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) or in compliance with other medical or pharmaceutical quality standard
- Skills in summarizing and communicating relevant data to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Proficient in constructing formal and informal technical reports, adjusting content to an appropriate level of detail dependent on the audience
- In depth and thorough understanding of validation requirements for alternative methods in a global food protection setting
- Evidence in the application of advanced statistical analysis of molecular datasets
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong teamwork capabilities
- High energy, with perseverance and the ability to work flexible hours (early start or late finish) in a high pace environment
- Fluent written and spoken English, and preferably Finnish
Please send in your application, including a cover letter, CV and salary request in English. Please apply via jobs.thermofisher.com by Monday the 4th of January. Reference: 140285BR.
If you have questions about Thermo Fisher Scientific and/or the position – please contact Laura Vaahtoranta, R&D Manager on Friday, December 18th, 11:00 – 12:00 (Finnish time), tel. +358 50 357 4867.
Each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. It’s not just a career, it’s a chance to realise your best – professionally and personally.
Join us and contribute to our mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer: http://jobs.thermofisher.com Apply