Senior Scientist or Scientist, Systems Biology, CNS Therapy Area – Orion Oyj, Turku5.11.2019
Orion Corporation is a globally operating Finnish pharmaceutical company – a builder of well-being. Orion develops, manufactures and markets human and veterinary pharmaceuticals and active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Description of position
In the CNS Therapy Area, we are building up our portfolio and are looking for enthusiastic and innovative scientists who can contribute with strong disease biology knowledge in the field of neurodegenerative disorders (NDD) or chronic pain in our Disease Biology team in Turku, Finland.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Establish, characterize and implement state-of-the-art animal models to unravel mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases (ALS, PD) and pain such as Transgenic (Tg), Knock Out (KO), Knock In (KI)
- Build-up target validation from in-vitro to in-vivo and bring in new technologies and protocols
- Use translational models, translate from bed-to-bench and back
- Generate and evaluate new project ideas with other pain/ neurodegenerative diseases (NDD) scientists
- Actively contribute to project ideation, planning and execution of research activities in the fields of NDD and/or pain.
- Analyse and interpret data and effectively conclude, document and communicate results.
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations.
- Collaborate with other CNS scientists & groups & global functions within the company
Description of unit
Therapy area of the Central Nervous System (CNS) is accountable for the research and development of medications for NDD and pain at Orion. Our team builds the R&D CNS portfolio and CNS strategy in close collaboration with business and all R&D global functions. We are focusing on Parkinson’s disease (PD), Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and chronic pain. Currently, we are about 20 people working for the CNS portfolio, including a laboratory team for the Disease Biology ensuring that we get data from well-planned and conducted experiments to verify target confidence and to ensure the way forward for the new ideas and research projects. This position belongs to the Disease Biology team in Turku, Finland, which we plan to grow to meet our future needs.
We offer exciting opportunities to create and have an impact to the future therapies for patients.
In Orion we have a highly interesting R&D pipeline and enthusiastic working environment with opportunities to use your own strengths to build your competence development and career. As an expert of your own field you will be a member of multi-disciplinary team jointly innovating and developing new treatments for the patients. Appreciation of colleagues and continuous development are part of our core values. The culture of Orion R&D is informal and we enjoy working together.
We are passionate about the patient welfare and serve as The Voice of Science and the Patient – if this inspires you too – join us!
We wish you have
- PhD in either NDD or pain related fields (0+ year(s) experience; Title will depend on experience)
- Industry experience is an advantage
- Understanding of ALS, PD and/or pain related disease mechansims and experience in animal model set up (Tg, KO, KI)
- Technical skills in gene-editing technologies such as Crispr-CAS, shRNA; surgical techniques such as stereotaxic surgery
- Experience, understanding and interest on translational models, how to translate from bed-to-bench and back
- Good organizational and people skills and working in a team environment
- Passion to work hands-on in the laboratory
- Excellent communication skills in English
Would you like to know more about the position? Please contact Malik John Mohammed, Research Director NDD +358509667871. He is best available during the following times (EEST): Friday 25th of Oct 9.00 – 11.00, Thursday 31st of Oct 15.00 – 16.00 and Friday 8th of Nov 15.00 – 16.00.
Orion Corporation operates in more than 25 countries, where we Orionees, 3400 in total, work in all kinds of positions. We encourage people to develop their competences, and offer opportunities to affect own job description and create own career path at Orion.
Approved medical examination which also includes drug testing is required prior to the employment. We will also carry out a security clearance prior to the employment for the selected person.