Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor in Pharmacometabolomics (FinPharma) – University of Helsinki18.9.2019
The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an attractive and diverse workplace in an inspiring environment with a variety of development opportunities and benefits.
Pharmaceutical drug research is a strong field within University of Helsinki’s Life Sciences strategic area and highly ranked internationally. The high scientific level is a prerequisite for new discoveries, urgently needed for translating the findings of basic research into therapeutic applications. The University of Helsinki has created, with the University of Eastern Finland and Åbo Akademi University, FinPharma, a new Finnish Platform for Pharmaceutical Research. FinPharma will renew the pharmaceutical drug research through the novel research areas across the boundaries of traditional pharmaceutical disciplines and nurturing of national and international collaboration. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma.
The Faculty of Pharmacy (http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy):
• ranked #47 in the world in the ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
• is located on Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks
• has about 200 employees, out of which 15 professors
• has about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs
• cross-disciplinary Drug Research Program and the Doctoral School of Health Sciences will form the operational framework for this position linking nationally to FinPharma
The Faculty of Pharmacy invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN PHARMACOMETABOLOMICS
Pharmacometabolomics involves comprehensive analysis of metabolites, proteins and pathways in biological systems focused to understand disease mechanisms, identify novel drug targets, customize drug treatments and monitor therapeutic outcomes.
The main responsibilities of the appointee are to act as a group leader of metabolomics and proteomics projects, to develop mass spectrometric and data handling methods for metabolomics and proteomics, and to conduct independent and collaborative research.
In addition to scientific research, the appointee is responsible for undergraduate (bachelor and master in pharmacy) and postgraduate level education. The teaching has its main focus on pharmaceutical analytics, mass spectrometry, metabolomics and proteomics. The position will be based at the Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
The successful applicant may be appointed to a permanent full professorship or a fixed-term assistant/ associate professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the career path and a description of the tenure track model at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t….
An appointee to the position of an assistant/associate professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
The successful running of the work requires research and teaching experience in metabolomics, proteomics, mass spectrometry and analytical chemistry.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• applicant’s expertise in the research field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in successfully leading research projects
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience, other international experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must be fluent in English. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies is offered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor may amount
to 54,000 – 68,000 euros and for a professor to 67,000 – 90,000 euros
depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
• Application must include an academic portfolio (in English), which
includes applicant’s CV, publication list and scientific activity
including acquired research funding, report on the experience and merits
related to teaching skills; as well as a plan for advancing research
and teaching in the field of professorship (maximum of 2 pages).
• More information on the report related to teaching skills: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/faculty/jobs-and-vacancie….
• A general example of the structure of an academic portfolio: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/academic-portfolio.
Please submit your application, with the academic portfolio as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 17 November, 2019.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit 5-10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• About the position and the operational environment: Faculty of Pharmacy, vice dean, professor Jari Yli-Kauhaluoma, firstname.lastname@example.org(at)helsinki.fi, +358504151604
• About the recruitment process, tenure track model and academic portfolio: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341, technical support with the recruitment system also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
17.11.2019 23:59 EET