Biomarker scientist – Charles River, Kuopio30.5.2019
Req ID #: 44673 Location:
Kuopio, IS, FI, 70210
For over 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
Scientist, Neuroimmunology and immunohistochemistry
We are looking for a scientist with proven track of experience in ex vivo molecular and cellular neuroscience.
The position requires expertise in immunology and immunohistochemistry in basic science and preferably drug discovery using preclinical models of CNS.
In this position you will be independently leading projects focusing to relevant ex vivo endpoints of efficacy in animal models, including e.g. PD, AD, MS and injury-triggered animal models.
You have a strong expertise in various types of ex vivo analysis and interpretation of biomarkers derived from preclinical in vivo models. You have strong background e.g. in multiparameter flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, cytokine profiling, supporting immune function assessment.
You are independently able to manage planning, coordination, supervision and execution of the ex vivo part of client projects and ensuring the scientific excellence including data analysis and reporting of the results. Scientist will be working closely with other teams and clients. In addition to client projects, scientist will be involved R&D activities including validations of new markers and assays to support ex vivo readouts.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Higher education degree in biological science (MSc) with 3+ years of experience, preferably PhD degree
- Pharmaceutical industry, Preclinical Contract Research Organization or academic post-doctoral experience will be an asset.
- Good problem solving skills, ability to coordinate and prioritize
- Scientific expertise with demonstrable understanding of ex vivo techniques and neuroimmunology as a component in CNS diseases
- Understanding of key features of in vivo pharmacology studies and drug development process in neurology and psychiatry
- Hands on experience in development, optimization and validation of immunohistochemistry targets in CNS tissues
- Hands on experience in development, optimization and validation of multi-color flow cytometry, data analysis and troubleshooting using multiparametric data analysis
- Experience in other immunological techniques like in vitro cell cultures, Luminex, ELISA, gene expression analysis (qPCR, QuantiGene Plex) will be an asset
- Fluent oral and written English, excellent communication skills, interpersonal and teamwork abilities
- Ability to mentor and train staff will be an asset
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Job Segment: Chemistry, Scientific, Biotech, Scientist, Telecom, Science, Engineering, Technology