Field Applications Scientist, Bioinformatics – ThermoFisher Scientific14.11.2019
The job: Field Applications Scientist Bioinformatics (Band 6)
As Field Application Scientist for Bioinformatics you will apply knowledge of scientific principles, products, concepts and practices to solve a wide variety of customer challenges across the Genotyping and Reproductive Health applications, primarily utilizing Microarray and NGS technologies. You will be responsible for providing pre and post-sales technical support, training to both internal and external customers as well as relaying customer feedback to the organization using phone, E-mail and face-to-face meetings as appropriate. This role also requires the scoping out and completion of custom bioinformatics projects where creative approaches to new problems must be explored and delivered in a professional manner.
Where will you work?
Aligned to the regional nature of the role and associated travel, the role-holder can be home based remotely through EMEA within reasonable distance to an international airport.
What will you do?
- Provide technical bioinformatics support for Applied Biosystems Gene Titan and Life Technologies NGS instruments, related hardware and software products and services within the context of Genotyping and Reproductive Health by answering customer technical inquiries in a timely manner. Inquiries will be received via phone, email, or during customer visits.
- Deliver engaging data analysis and software training events tailored to customers
- Perform world-class data analysis based on a detailed understanding of the customer’s goals.
- Participate in pre-sales meetings such as customer visits, workshops or webinars.
- Perform thoughtful troubleshooting experiments to identify root cause quickly
- Proactively contribute to the direction of software development, documentation and training products.
- Independent self-training, on both new products and continuing education to remain at the cutting edge of developments across Genotyping and Reproductive Health applications.
- Present technical updates and contribute to department meetings.
Who we are looking for:experience, skills & abilities
- Bioinformatics experience preferably in an industrial/commercial environment – beneficial, not required
- Experience in a customer facing role with evidence of sensitive case handling – beneficial, not required
- In depth knowledge of bioinformatics software, resources and algorithms.
- In depth knowledge of scripting in a language such as Python, Perl or R and using shell scripts.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues.
- Ability to work independently as part of a field-based team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Problem-solving ability required
- Minimum experience with microarrays and population based or agricultural breeding genotyping projects
- Posses experience in two or more of the following fields:
- Array based genotyping technologies,Target Genotyping by Sequencing, Next Generation Sequencing, population genetics, plant and animal breeding or reproductive health.
- This position requires repetitive typing, and regular viewing of a computer monitor. Requires talking on the telephone and email with customers and attending conference calls. The post is field based and as such you are required to provide an office in your home. Travel up to 50% of your time may be required, as such it is recommended the successful applicant be located within 1 hour of an international airport.
As the world leader in serving science, our work is more than something that fills our days. When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. With revenues of $24 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. It’s not just a career, it’s a chance to realise your best – professionally and personally. Join us and contribute to our mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!