Laboratory manager – BioGarage, Aalto Design Factory10.1.2020
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
Welcome to be the key person taking the newly established BioGarage forward!
BioGarage is an open laboratory for synthetic biology experimentation. At BioGarage students, researchers, startups and companies can test their ideas and cooperate in a low-threshold environment, connected to the Aalto Design Factory community. BioGarage will also serve as a multidisciplinary bridge between biology, engineering, and arts and inspire new ways of product development.
We are looking for a Laboratory manager for BioGarage, which starts its activities next spring at Aalto Design Factory.
The position is fixed-term for six months at the beginning with a possible continuation.
Your role and goals
As the BioGarage lab manager you will be:
· Managing and maintaining the laboratory
· Training and mentoring others for safe use of the lab and biotech protocols
· Facilitating the organization of courses at BioGarage
· Co-operating actively with other functions at Design Factory and the university
· Connecting to the international network of biohack labs
· Building and maintaining the BioGarage community and communicating about BioGarage operations and events
Your experience and ambitions
We look for candidates who have,
· Wide knowledge of microbiology, gene technology and biochemistry
· Mastery of safe and correct lab protocols
· Willingness to participate in community building and good communication skills
· M.Sc. in biotech or similar
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application, including motivation letter and CV, through our recruitment system (“Apply for this job”).
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to Adjunct Professor Merja Penttilä (email@example.com) or in questions related to the recruitment process HR Coordinator Sanni Mero (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for applications is January 15, 2020.
Note, that the position may also be filled as part-time. Please, show your interest! University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.