Open position for a Bioinformatician / Data Manager in the Finnish Health in Teens (Fin-HIT) group, Folkhälsan Research Center, Finland10.1.2020
We are looking for a bioinformatician to look after our database
consisting of health, sample, human genome and microbiome data.The
position is made available in the Finnish Health in Teens (Fin-HIT)
group, which is responsible for conducting a prospective
study of 11000 children and their parents (http://www.finhit.fi/).
Fin-HIT is based at the Folkhälsan Research Center
(https://www.folkhalsan.fi/en/research/ ) which is a part of “Samfundet
Folkhälsan i svenska Finland rf”, and which collaborates closely with
the University of Helsinki in the Meilahti Campus area. We are
collaborating with top researchers and research institutes in the world
to improve health and well-being.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
• Managing genomic data repositories of variant data (16S rDNA gene sequencing, metagenome sequencing and genotyping chip data)
• Pre-processing and quality control of sequencing variant and genotyping chip data
• Execution and development of bioinformatics pipelines in high performance computing environmentand data analysis
• Managing databases with questionnaire and registry data
• Support research projects by preparing and delivering datasets on time
• Evaluate new methods and solutions to manipulate sequencing data efficiently in distributed computing environments with a focus on data protection
• Ensure data security
Qualification and experience
• Master’s degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer sciences, or equivalent
• Previous experience in database management or knowledge in SQL or any other relevant tools is preferred
• Capability to work effortlessly in Linux environment and at least intermediate programming skills
• Skills in statistical programs (R, SPSS) are required
• Solution-seeking, proactive and responsible way of working and keeping deadlines under pressure
• Previous experience with genomics data, data science or distributed computing environments is appreciated but not required – yet ability to learn new things quickly is essential • Any experience in working with omics analysis (transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics) will be a plus.
• Experience working in public cloud environment is a plus
• Fluent in spoken and written English, our team is international so Finnish skills are not required
We are looking for a team player to support the multidisciplinary research team. We offer a great opportunity to learn on genomics and health sciences. We are a dynamic, vibrant and highly motivated team. Our working culture is positive, flexible and encouraging.
Salary and contract
The Folkhälsan Research Center follows the collective agreement for the private social service sector. The salary will be based on previous qualifications, experience and performance in the position. A six-month trial period will be applied. The position is available immediately. The contract will be offered for two years, and a possibility to pursue a PhD degree will be considered.
The application should include a cover letter, a CV, and contact information of at least two referees. Please write your application in English and send via email to Heli Viljakainen.
For further information contact group leader Docent Heli Viljakainen, heli.viljakainen(at)helsinki.fi or +358 50 4485660. The deadline for application is January 20th, 2020.