Postdoctoral Researcher, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine – University of Oulu17.1.2021
The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment forapproximately 3 000 employees,where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields. (http://www.oulu.fi/english/) Biocenter Oulu (BCO) (http://www.oulu.fi/biocenter/) offers a high-level international multidisciplinary environment supplied with cutting-edge infrastructures.
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher in Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, in Biocenter Oulu (BCO) and Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University of Oulu
Applications are invited for a full-time Post doc position for a maximum of four years, starting immediately in a research project headed by Professor Peppi Karppinen in the ECM & Hypoxia Research Unit, Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. The project is affiliated to the Academy of Finland funded GeneCellNano Flagship focusing on the innovation and commercial development of new biological drugs, so-called ATMPs (advanced therapy medicinal products), biomarkers and diagnostics for common chronic diseases.
Our research focuses on the enzyme family of 2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenases and their potential as therapeutic targets. Our main interests are in the hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl 4-hydroxylases, P4H-TM and histone demethylases. We use mainly biochemical, cell biological and genetic mouse models to understand how these enzymes regulate normal physiological and developmental processes. In addition, we study their inhibition as a potential therapeutic option in selected pathological conditions, with main focus currently on obesity, metabolic dysfunction, aging and cancer. We offer a research environment with excellent technological facilities and a motivating and supporting community. More information can be found on our web page https://www.oulu.fi/fbmm/peppi_karppinen.
To successfully occupy the position, the candidate must possess a PhD degree preferably in the field of biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, medical science or related fields. Degree must have been completed before starting the position and/or must not be obtained more than 10 years ago. Prior experience from generation and maintenance of gene-modified mouse lines, preclinical disease models and vast molecular and cellular biology, histological and imaging methods are required. Prior knowledge of the research field is considered an advantage. Ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, supervise younger scientists as well as excellent writing and fluency in English are expected. Good scientific presentation skills are required and teaching experience is considered an advantage.
When assessing the applicant’s qualifications, issues to be considered will include scientific publications, supervision experience, activity in the scientific community and familiarity with the research field.
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area
- You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your studies and research / work.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months / year.
- A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). In practice, the salary is roughly 3550 € per month (before taxes) for an early stage post doc, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and prior experience. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
- Other benefits: The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by January 31, 2021 (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1) Complete CV containing contact information of at least two referees (Max. size limit of the attachment: 5 Mbytes)
2) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page) describing prior knowledge and research interests and career plans (1-2 pages; max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes).
3) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish. (Max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes)
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
For Further Information Contact:
Prof. Peppi Karppinen, e-mail: peppi.karppinen (at) oulu.fi