Postdoctoral Researcher in Biochemistry / Enzymology – Aalto University13.3.2022
About the job
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Espoo, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The Biochemistry group (https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-bioproducts-and-biosystems/biochemistry) develops metabolic pathways and enzymes for the conversion of CO2 to fuels. For the project “ETHANOGENESIS” sponsored by the Novo Nordisk Foundation, we are looking for a
Postdoctoral Researcher in Biochemistry / Enzymology
The goal is to functionally express and test key enzymes for the conversion of CO2 to fuels. The postdoc position is focussed on metalorganic enzymes involved in the transfer of alkyl-groups, which require oxygen-sensitive cofactors harbouring reduced metal centres, such as Co or Ni. The actual research is on a fundamental level, but the long-term goal is designing new routes to generate renewable fuels from CO2.
Research is carried out at our excellent facilities at Aalto University, School of Chemical Engineering ( http://www.bioeconomyinfra.fi/ ). The laboratories are situated on the main campus of Aalto University in Otaniemi (short metro-ride from Helsinki) within the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems (https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-bioproducts-and-biosystems).
Your Experience And Ambitions
- recently obtained PhD (max 5 years) in a suitable field, such as biochemistry, enzyme engineering, (bio)organic chemistry
- Enzymology, expression and functional studies of enzymes
- Be highly committed to science and strive for excellence
- Develop own smart ideas and think independently
- Be able to focus on solving tough scientific problems
- Have good written and oral communication skills in English
Skills, knowledge or interest in some of the following areas are highly appreciated:
- Experience in working with oxygen-sensitive enzymes
- Experience with microbes and enzymes related to the reductive acetyl-CoA pathway
- Advanced spectroscopic methods (HPLC, NMR, EPR, etc.)
- High-end laboratory infrastructure and friendly colleagues
- Opportunity to join a young, ambitious research group
- Freedom to bring in own ideas
- Funding for 2 years
For more information
For additional scientific information, please contact Prof. Silvan Scheller (firstname.lastname(a)aalto.fi).
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application, through our recruitment system from the link below, before March 31st, 2022. To apply, please share the following application materials with us (only pdf documents):
- Cover letter (start as follows: “I am interested in this position because… “)
- CV, including list of publications
- Research interest description
- Names and contact details of references (or to be provided upon request)
Finland is a great place for living with or without family – it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed again as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/news/its-a-three-peat-finland-keeps-top-spot-as-happiest-country-in-world/ . For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland
More about Aalto University: