Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher / Early Stage Researcher (Translational immunology)26.4.2021
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher / Early Stage Researcher (Translational Immunology) position in Kuopio. The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 August 2021 (or as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 21 May 2021.
Role and salary
As our new Postdoctoral, Project or Early Stage Researcher in Translational Immunology, you will be working in the School of Medicine at the Faculty of Health Sciences, Kuopio Campus.
Our research focuses on the immunological disturbances preceding human type 1 diabetes, with a special emphasis on CD4+ T cells. We utilize state-of-the art single cell methodology to study clinical samples from individuals at different stages of type 1 diabetes autoimmunity.
More details on the research group and research interests can be found at https://uefconnect.uef.fi/en/group/immunology-of-type-1-diabetes/
The successful candidate will work on a project funded by the Academy of Finland aiming to analyse CD4+ T cell phenotypic alterations related to autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes. The candidate may also participate in collaborative projects studying cellular immune responses in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis and in patients undergoing immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy for cancers.
The position will be filled for a two-year term from 1 August 2021 (or as agreed) due to it pertaining to a specific project. Positions of Early Stage Researchers shall always be filled for a fixed term. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. For a Postdoctoral Researcher / Project Researcher, the job requirement component is 3,000.49 euros/month, based on level 5 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff.
For an Early stage Researcher, the job requirement component is 2,078.27 -2,591.28 euros/month, based on levels 2-4 of the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be between 6-50 % of the above-mentioned sums.
At the beginning the salary will be 3,180.52-3,480.57 € (as Postdoctoral / Project Researcher) or 2,202.97-2,850.41 € (as Early Stage Researcher).
Our requirements and expectations
The successful candidate will:
- Have a PhD in immunology or a related discipline (for Postdoctoral/Project Researcher position) If you have been awarded your doctoral degree less than five years ago, the post will be one of a Postdoctoral Researcher. If the doctoral degree has been awarded more than five years ago, the post will be one of a Project Researcher. In this context, the 5 years refer to a net period time, which does not include parental leaves, or military service.
- Have a MSc in biosciences or related discipline (for Early stage Researcher position); have completed a suitable higher university degree or an equivalent education abroad which in the country in question would qualify the person for similar academic studies. Also you shall be qualified to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Eastern Finland by enrolling in one of the doctoral programmes of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
- Have a good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Possess the ability to work independently and to supervise students.
- Be willing to contribute to writing peer-reviewed publications and applications for research funding.
Previous experience in some of the following techniques is considered highly advantageous:
- High-parameter flow cytometry with experience in panel design and analysis
- Magnetic and flow-cytometric cell sorting
- T-cell culture
- Single cell omics
- Basic biostatistics/bioinformatics (FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, SPSS, SeqGeq)
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including
– extensive occupational health care
– staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other
– affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting/meaningful/diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 21.5.2021 (by24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- list of publications (List of publications – Academy of Finland (aka.fi)
- motivation letter
- copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- recommendation letter(s) (if available)
For further information on the position, please contact: Professor Tuure Kinnunen, +358 29 445 4980, email@example.com.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact HR-secretary Henna Miettinen, +358 29 445 4634, firstname.lastname@example.org.