Postdoctoral Researcher, Tissue Engineering27.2.2022
The University of Eastern Finland is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher, Tissue Engineering, position on the Kuopio campus at the Department of Applied Physics. The position will be filled part-time (50%) for a fixed 2-year term from 1 April 2022 (or starting date as agreed). Please find more information below and submit your application no later than 15 March 2022.
Role and salary
We are seeking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to work part-time on an Academy of Finland funded research project entitled ‘A novel infrared spectroscopic and modelling approach for online monitoring and control of cartilage tissue growth in a bioreactor’.
The project will be conducted at the Biomedical Spectroscopy Laboratory (BSL) and Biophysics of Bone and Cartilage (BBC) research groups, Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, under the supervision of Academy Research Fellow Isaac Afara and other senior members of the research team. BSL is a highly multidisciplinary team of more than 15 researchers with background in engineering, physics and mathematics, applying biophotonics principles for tissue characterization and diagnostics. The BBC group is a global leader in the biophysics of bone and cartilage, and consists of more than 50 researchers applying experimental, computational and clinical approaches for understanding and development of innovative techniques for diagnosis of joint diseases.
The primary aim of this project is to combine cutting-edge knowledge on infrared spectroscopy with state-of-the-art paradigm in cartilage tissue engineering (functional tissue engineering) for in situ live monitoring and control of cartilage tissue engineering process. This will be achieved via a multi-disciplinary approach that combines tissue engineering, biophotonics, data science and bioprocess control, and nano-spectroscopic imaging through active national and international collaboration. The project involves active collaboration with the Academy of Finland Center of Excellence in Body-On-Chip Research (Professor Minna Kellomäki and Associate Professor Susanna Miettinen). The primary tasks of the PhD student will include, but not limited to, tissue engineering laboratory experiments involving, but not limited to, creation of cell-hydrogel scaffolds and monitoring of tissue growth using near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy during tissue engineering of articular cartilage. The Postdoctoral Researcher will also be actively involved in preparation of personal grant applications, and other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Candidates who are currently completing or have recently completed a PhD degree are invited to apply, provided that they will have completed their degree before starting date.
The position will be filled part-time (50%) for a 2-year term from 1 April 2022 (or starting date as agreed). The position will be filled for a fixed term due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. In this position, the job requirement component is 3,000.49 euros/month, based on level 5 the job requirement chart for teaching and research staff. The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6 % and a maximum of 50 % of the above-mentioned sum. Depending on the personal performance component, the salary will be approximately 3,181 – 3,661 €/month at the beginning of the employment relationship.
Our requirements and expectations
- The person to be appointed in the position shall hold a PhD degree in biomedical/biological sciences, biochemistry, tissue engineering with strong biological background or related fields. The doctoral degree may not have been completed more than five years ago at the time of accepting the position (a net period of time, which does not include parental leaves, military service etc.),
- Potential candidates should have a good command of the English language.
Experience and Skills
- Background in tissue engineering
- Previous experience working with animal/human cells
- Prior experience in preparation of biological assays
- Fluency in spoken and (especially) written English for technical communication.
- Strong experience in biological laboratory experiments
- Good publication track record
- Strong experience in statistical analysis
You will have access to the university’s staff benefits, including:
- extensive occupational health care,
- staff discount on lunch in our campus restaurants, as well as on a range of other services,
- affordable sports services.
Please read more in the Work at UEF section on our website.
You will have an opportunity to work in an interesting and diverse role as part of our international, creative, participatory and inclusive academic community.
Enjoy your life in Finland! Known for its cleanliness, welfare know-how, modern technology and superb education system, Finland is an exotic and safe country to work in. Please visit the Life in Finland section on our website to learn more.
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 15 March 2022 (by 23.00 CET).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
- CV (http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae)
- a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/)
- copies of your academic degree certificates/diplomas, and copies of certificates/diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
- a motivation letter
For further information on the position, please contact Academy Research Fellow Isaac Afara, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.+358 29 445 3305.
For further information on the application procedure, please contact Executive Assistant Satu Turunen, email: email@example.com, tel. +358 29 445 3031.