Scientist, Molecular and Cell Biology in Neuroscience – Novartis, Basel, CH9.1.2019
The Neuroscience (NS) Department at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in Basel, Switzerland, is seeking a Scientist with Molecular and Cell Biology skills to join a lab focusing on neuroscience. The specific focus of the team is to modulate neuroinflammation to ameliorate or halt pathology in neurodegenerative diseases.
As part of a multidisciplinary, highly collaborative team, you will independently plan, execute and analyse experiments and interpret data aiming at the discovery of new therapeutic targets and drug leads. The group is using complex primary cell culture models, but also establishing cellular high and medium throughput assays to assess therapeutic efficacy of antisense oligonucleotides, antibodies or low molecular weight compounds under relevant physiological conditions.
On top of a solid neurobiological background, good knowledge of and experience with immunological methods would be an asset.
You will present data in meetings within the department and contribute to writing of research documents and publications. Furthermore, you will interact with multiple groups within our department as well as with other groups and external colleagues and have the opportunity to represent the lab in project team meetings.
- Master’s degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or another relevant Life Science discipline
- Several years of post-graduate experience in industry or academia in drug discovery or related laboratory research
- Proficiency in Molecular and Cell Biology techniques, comprising but not restricted to cultivation and manipulation of cell lines and primary cell cultures, biochemical assays (e.g. recombinant DNA technologies, cytokine assays, second messenger assays, ELISA, signaling assays, western blot) and high content cellular imaging technologies
- Excellent understanding of pathway biology and experience in solving drug discovery related biological questions
- Proven experience with complex cellular models, in particular with ES cells and or iPS cells and confocal microscopy is advantageous
- Highly motivated team player with refined collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English (oral/written)
Novartis Pharma AG
Research & Development