Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology – Orion, Turku26.5.2019
Orion Corporation is a globally operating Finnish pharmaceutical company – a builder of well-being. Orion develops, manufactures and markets human and veterinary pharmaceuticals and active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Description of position
We are building up the Rare Diseases Therapy Area and are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative scientist who can contribute with strong disease biology knowledge in the field of rare genetic disorders (or neurodegerative disorders). Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Actively contribute to project ideation, planning and execution of research activities.
- Provide expertise in molecular biology and drug mechanism of action.
- Perform hands-on laboratory work related to transcription and translation of e.g. lysosomal and mitochondrial proteins as well as to cell signaling pathways, and how these can be targeted and modified.
- Analyse and interpret data and effectively document and communicate results.
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations.
Description of the unit
The focus of our Rare Diseases Therapy Area is on progressive, serious and life-threatening diseases, where patients are lacking adequate treatment. We aim to develop treatments which are disease modifying or which deliver significant symptomatic relief to patients. To fulfill this exciting task the Rare Diseases Therapy area is strengthened by recruiting new R&D experts to our team in Turku. The therapy area is newly established and you have a great opportunity to be part of developing our processes.Therapy area of the Central Nervous System (CNS) is accountable for the research and development of medications for neurodegenerative diseases (NDD).
We offer exciting opportunities to create and have an impact to the future therapies for patients.
In Orion we have a highly interesting R&D pipeline and enthusiastic working environment with opportunities to use your own strengths to build your competence development and career. As an expert of your own field you will be a member of multi-disciplinary team jointly innovating and developing new treatments for the patients. Appreciation of colleagues and continuous development are part of our core values. The culture of Orion R&D is informal and we enjoy working together.
We are passionate about the patient welfare and serve as The Voice of Science and the Patient – if this inspires you too – join us!
- Ph.D. degree in cell and/or molecular biology with at least 3 years postdoc experience.
- Hands-on experience with molecular biology techniques such as qPCR, WB, siRNA, CRISPR/Cas9 as well as immunodetection techniques.
- Expertise in cell signaling.
- Expertise in rare genetic disorders or neurodegenerative diseases research.
- Understanding of drug discovery and development.
Would you like to know more about the position? Please contact Harry Björklund, Research Director Rare Diseases, +358509667436. He is best available during the following times (EEST): Monday 20th of May 14.00 – 16.00, Wednesday 22nd of May 9.00 – 11.00 and Tuesday 28th of May 14.00 – 16.00. Please send your application latest on 2 June 2019.
Orion Corporation operates in more than 25 countries, where we Orionees, 3200 in total, work in all kinds of positions. We encourage people to develop their competences, and offer opportunities to affect own job description and create own career path at Orion.