Senior Scientist or Scientist in cell signalling, CNS Therapy Area – Orion Oyj, Turku5.11.2019
Orion Corporation is a globally operating Finnish pharmaceutical company – a builder of well-being. Orion develops, manufactures and markets human and veterinary pharmaceuticals and active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Description of position
In the CNS Therapy Area, we are building up our portfolio and are looking for enthusiastic and innovative scientists who can contribute in the field of neurodegenerative disorders (NDD) or chronic pain in our laboratory in Turku, Finland.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Establish, characterize and implement state-of-the-art cellular models to unravel disease mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases (PD & ALS) and pain
- Setup new in-vitro technologies and protocols
- Build-up in-vitro target validation and help translate to in-vivo assays
- Generate and evaluate new project ideas with other pain/ neurodegenerative diseases (NDD) scientists
- Actively contribute to project ideation, planning and execution of research activities in the fields of NDD and/or pain
- Analyse and interpret data and effectively conclude, document and communicate results
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Collaborate with other CNS scientists & groups & global functions within the company
Description of unit
Therapy area of the Central Nervous System (CNS) is accountable for the research and development of medications for NDD and pain at Orion. Our team builds the R&D CNS portfolio and CNS strategy in close collaboration with business and all R&D global functions. We are focusing on Parkinson’s disease (PD), Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and chronic pain. Currently, we are about 20 people working for the CNS portfolio, including a laboratory team for the Disease Biology ensuring that we get data from well-planned and conducted experiments to verify target confidence and to ensure the way forward for the new ideas and research projects. This position belongs to the Disease Biology team in Turku, Finland, which we is growing to meet our future needs.
We offer exciting opportunities to create and have an impact to the future therapies for patients.
In Orion we have a highly interesting R&D pipeline and enthusiastic working environment with opportunities to use your own strengths to build your competence development and career. As an expert of your own field you will be a member of multi-disciplinary team jointly innovating and developing new treatments for the patients. Appreciation of colleagues and continuous development are part of our core values. The culture of Orion R&D is informal and we enjoy working together.
We are passionate about the patient welfare and serve as The Voice of Science and the Patient – if this inspires you too – join us!
We wish you have:
- PhD in Neuroscience, cell biology or other related field (0+ year(s) experience; Title will depend on experience)
- Industry experience is an advantage
- Strong expertise in cell culture, including primary neurons and iPSC
- Technical skills in biochemical, molecular and cell biology techniques, gene editing and viral vector technologies, and microscopy and imaging are desirable
- Good networking and communication skills and willingness to collaborate with Internal & External partners (academic and industrial)
- Good organizational and people skills and working in a team environment
- Passion to work in the laboratory
- Fluent written and spoken English
Would you like to know more about the position? Please contact Malik John Mohammed, Research Director NDD +358509667871. He is best available during the following times (EEST): Friday 25th of Oct 9.00 – 11.00, Thursday 31st of Oct 15.00 – 16.00 and Friday 8th of Nov 15.00 – 16.00.
Orion Corporation operates in more than 25 countries, where we Orionees, 3400 in total, work in all kinds of positions. We encourage people to develop their competences, and offer opportunities to affect own job description and create own career path at Orion.
Approved medical examination which also includes drug testing is required prior to the employment. We will also carry out a security clearance prior to the employment for the selected person.